cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Why are BT giving away Infinity & BTSport?

As an existing ADSL/Vision customer I have been offered:

1. Upgrade to Infinity for free.

2. Free BT Sports

Why? What is the motive?

1. When my new contract expires will BT increase the price of the Infinity beyond what I currently pay for ADSL?

2. Is it possible to change from Infinity to ADSL at some future point with another provider and would that be at no cost?

Being a little sceptical has never hurt me in the past so is the offer to tie you into Infinity with all the extra kit and wiring that is difficult to change in the future?

All the best

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Why are BT giving away Infinity & BTSport?

To retain customers, sky's been taking a lot you know!

Yes the price for infinity will not be as cheap once your current contract has ran out. If you don't think the speed increase is worth the extra money you can go back down to normal broadband at a lower price.

Yes another provider can take over your line and put you on normal broadband.

There is no difficulty changing back, an engineer is not required for that
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

@geo1986 wrote:
To retain customers, sky's been taking a lot you know!

Yes the price for infinity will not be as cheap once your current contract has ran out. If you don't think the speed increase is worth the extra money you can go back down to normal broadband at a lower price.

Yes another provider can take over your line and put you on normal broadband.

There is no difficulty changing back, an engineer is not required for that

So, in a way BT are forcing you to have Infinity to have any Sports (SS or BTS) with a good probability they will wack the price in 12 months.

You can't revert back to normal broadband in 12 months because you will not be able to receive BTS?

It seems they are only letting people have BTS in none infinity areas until infinity has spread, then wham, no BTS unless you upgrade to infinity at the higher price.

So, whereas ESPN is currently free with ADSL on Channel 34, BTS will not be as you have to pay the higher price for Infinity (after 12 months).

It is blackmail in a way, pay for infinity or no sport.

All the best

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

Sky sports for non infinity customers is ending, I think thats crystal clear in many of the posts on the forum.  They've offered to let you retain it at the same price till the end of your current contract (with a much faster internet and free engineer install).

Its not blackmail, its economics.  There not prepared to lose money on broadcasting Sky Sports, its better for them to lose the customer.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 21

BT Sport will be available free to all their BB customers with no requirement for Infinity. Non-Infinity customers will get it via the Freeview channels currently occupied by Sky Sports 1&2, or via satellite if they have a Sky subscription..

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

@pottyperson wrote:

BT Sport will be available free to all their BB customers with no requirement for Infinity. Non-Infinity customers will get it via the Freeview channels currently occupied by Sky Sports 1&2, or via satellite if they have a Sky subscription..

So I understand you correctly.

1. I am in an area that is Infinity and multicast enabled.

2. I decide not to take the Infinity offer.

3. I can still receive BTSport 1 & 2 on Freeview 41 & 42.

4. I will only lose SS1 & SS2.

Is this correct?

All the best

0 Ratings
paul_c
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

Yes I think so far that is the only sure thing we know, but for ho long on freeview who knows....
0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

Correct for the next 12 months (at least!)
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

@geo1986 wrote:
Correct for the next 12 months (at least!)

Will I be charged or will it be free?

I already have an ESPN card.

All the best

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

Will you be charged for what?

You ask many questions, it may be quicker for you to talk to the customer options team 0800 800 030.
0 Ratings