cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevin51
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Why are BT throttling Torrent UPLOAD speeds after midnight ?

I've been on Infinity (option 2) for 6 months. My speeds are good, downloading /uploading files via FTP I'm getting approx 36 Mbit down / 8 Mbit upload speeds. But using Torrents it's a different matter. I know BT throttle torrents up until midnight but even after midnight my upload speeds on Torrents are pathetic. I can barely reach 500 kbps. That's approx 1/16th of what my line is capable of and less than what I was getting on my old ADSL line which gave me around 1Mbit upload speeds.

BT need to ease the throttle on Torrent uploads after midnight, after all you strangle our Torrent connections during the day, why is it necessary to strangle torrent upload speeds in the early hours as well. I emphasise here I'm not talking about Torrent download speeds which are fine, I'm talking about Torrent upload speeds during the off peak period after midnight.

If Virgin Media can give their 50 Mbit fibre users unthrottled downloads AND UPLOADS on Torrents during the off-peak period, why can't BT do the same thing for their Infinity users.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Why are BT throttling Torrent UPLOAD speeds after midnight ?

As you can see from part of the terms below, they can vary the times.

Notice the words "typically" and "Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times."

B. Network Management

2. What is BT's traffic management policy?

To protect the performance of the network and to ensure the best experience for all users of the service, at peak times we may manage the speed of non-time critical applications such as P2P.

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers.

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical - for example, downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing - we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

You can, of course, still use P2P services, but downloads will take longer during the peak times.

We may need to vary the policy from time to time to ensure the best possible experience for all our customers. This site will always be kept up to date with the latest information.

I don't use torrents a lot, but maybe they do need to have a slightly more lenient attitude to it, certainly after midnight.

Mind you I wouldn't hold my breathSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 3 of 24

I concur that BT has the right to TM torrent downloads but I do use them no and again mainly for things for my grandson, I normally use them in the day and have never had a problem getting upwards of 4megs/sec.

iechyd da  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 24

If I was using torrents a lot ,then I would (and Have done so before) use a seedbox, but the problem for most is the layout for the seedbox. Costs about £25/30 a month, no restrictions 24/7. You can take from and upload to via FTP.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 5 of 24

If you do a lot of p2p the Network drive enclosures (NAS) also now come with p2p and FTP servers and are very easy to use.

I use the D-Link sharecenter pulse and I have downloaded a big game file from a website overnight and didn't have to leave my PC on.

I haven't tried the p2p functions yet though.

As for the original question I would suppose that since the dropping of the download limits in April may have attracted an awful lot of people who use p2p and it may be that the upload needs to be throttled even at off peak times due to the sheer volume of customers.

0 Ratings
kevin51
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

@Paul1360 wrote:

I concur that BT has the right to TM torrent downloads but I do use them no and again mainly for things for my grandson, I normally use them in the day and have never had a problem getting upwards of 4megs/sec.

iechyd da  

4 megs of what exactly, uploads or downloads, Megabits or Megabytes ?

0 Ratings
kevin51
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

@deathaxe wrote:

as for the original question I would suppose that since the dropping of the download limits in April may have attracted an awful lot of people who use p2p and it may be that the upload needs to be throttled even at off peak times due to the sheer volume of customers.

I don't think that throttling torrent upload speeds is the price we have to pay for having unlimited usage. Even when we had the 100GB per month downoad limit Bt still throttled torrent uploads around the clock. I have no objection to throttles in order to make the service fair to all,  but the upload throttles on torrents after midnight are way too draconian. I would be happy with a 50% cut from my current 8 Mbit/sec upload speed to say around 4 Mbit/sec (after midnight), the curerent throttle cuts my upload speeds from 8Mbit/sec to under 1 Mbit/sec and is too severe a cut in my humble opinion.

BT got their maths wrong when they gave their fibre users just 100GB per month usage allowance, they upped that to 300GB per month after so many complaints, and then removed the the allowance all together giving everyone unlimited downloads, the Infinity network has not suffered as a result of this and it's made alot of peope very happy. I'm hoping BT will do the same thing regarding  their current policy of throttling torrent upload speeds during off-peak periods and relax this throttle a little.

0 Ratings
kevin51
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

@toekneem wrote:

If I was using torrents a lot ,then I would (and Have done so before) use a seedbox, but the problem for most is the layout for the seedbox. Costs about £25/30 a month, no restrictions 24/7. You can take from and upload to via FTP.

I'm not using torrents that much mostly I'm using using FTP, NNTP. But there are 2 private torrent sites I do use that require you to maintain a 1:1 share ratio, or you get kicked. I find this hard to do when I can download at 36 Mbit/sec but only upload at 500 kbps. I had never heared of a seed box before but a quick google tells me this may be the way to go, I found one company offering a 5 day free trial, I may give it a shot to see how it all works, thanks for the heads up.

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 9 of 24

If your are prepared to pay for it then a seedbox is the way to go, I cannot justify the equivalent of an extra Internet connection a month just for torrents though, if you can that's great. Just be careful there are a lot of providers out there and some are not great and may not even work with private trackers, make sure your get one with unlimited usage as you will soon be racking up TB's just by leaving stuff seeding if there is enough demand you can max many peoples Internet speed easily and will basically be providing the files by yourself, I love it when I'm connected to one you can always tell when your getting 3.5Mb/s from one IP address with no country info and and a client such as r torrent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 24

If you know someone you can rely on on the private trackers that you belong to, maybe sharing is an option.

I used to use one months ago 500GB storage,  unlimited bandwith, extremely fast. I think it was about £22 a month

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings