I have decided to test the Home Hub 3 one last time, before I stick to the home hub 2 till bt infinity is released then get a cable router. Anyway when I add a computer to the network the HH3 seems to be giving them static IPs instead of DHCP and giving gaming consoles DHCP is there anyway to get the static for computers to use DHCP as I cannot find any option in the settings.
What addresses are being issued? Normally these will not change once they are issued by the DHCP server in the hub, as they are associated with the MAC address of the device, unless the hub is restarted.
Why do you need them to change, they are only local network addresses and nothing to do with your Internet IP address?
Instead of leaving the IPddress as DHCP the HH3 has given each of the 4 computers a fixed address and given the 2 xboxes a DHCP Address.
I know that these are local address and nothing to do with the internet. All the problems I have been having is some sort of the problem with the HH3 as I didn't have these with the HH2.
I am just wanting to make sure that the static IP on each of the computers is not the problem that is causing for my computers connection to the internet through the HH3.
I want to know if there is anyway to disable static and let DHCP do its job.
If the IP addressed begin with 169.xxx , then these are local private addresses which Windows will use when it cannot get an address from the network due to a connectivity problem like a faulty Ethernet port on a switch or router.
Instead of getting a valid address quickly, it tries for about a minute, then gives up an defaults to a local private address.
You will not be able to access the Internet, as these are purely local addresses, and are on a different subnet to the home hub.
If you are getting these local addresses, then maybe there is a hardware fault on the home hub 3. This may not affect wireless connections.
well I know its a problem with the Home Hub 3. The static IP's given to the computers all are 192.168.1.XX but when I look in advanced settings and look at the devices attached to the router the 4 computers each say there is a static IP given, on my 2 phones they are DHCP and on the 2 xboxes are given DHCP address. It is only the PC's that have the static.
It can't be the ethernet, because it is a wireless computer that is having the main problem and I can't find whats wrong, I get a endless loop of connecting and then disconnecting. I have tried putting it b/g network only and I have put it on a channel that no one else is using and still the same. I just don't get why everything is fine on the HH2 but not the HH3.
When you click on the device name in the 'Devices' list under 'Home Network' does it have the 'IP address assignment' set to Static, or is that this says 'DHCP' but the 'Always use this IP address' is set to Yes?
On my HH3 my laptops both say DHCP, but the 'Always use this IP address' set to Yes and if I change it to No it doesn't stay that way, when I go back to the device list and to the laptop again it's gone back to Yes. I have lots of connection issues as per my thread (http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/HH3-Wireless-N/td-p/232269) from the laptops and losing connection when other devices are turned on.
On my HH2 my laptops both say DHCP, and the 'Always use this IP address' is set to No - I don't have any connection issues with the laptops.
On the HH3 changing the wireless interface type from '802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)' to '802.11 b/g' doesn't make any difference for me - apart from slowing down the laptop connecetion when I can get it to work.
My HH2 is set to '802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)'
yes in the Home Network on the HH3 the computers are set to static I and the always use this IP is grey out and is stuck on yes. But like I said, this seems to hapen on the computer the xboxes and phones use DHCP. There doesn't seem to be a way around it and I think because of that static IP I think that might be causeing my problem.
As with the HH2 the settings are the same, set to b/g/n network all the devices still have the same IP address (DHCP under HH2) etc and everything works fine no disconnections and reconnections.
Shouldn't really have to change from b/g/n to b/g on HH3 if the stupid thing worked on the HH2.
Also to note that I also don't really need to use the HH3 at present as infinity is not due in this area till the end of September so I can continue to use the HH2 till then and try and get a compatible cable router to use