cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Why can I not add a second account to my BT Yahoo account?

I am trying to add a second sending account to an existing account so I can send emails as though they originate from the other email account without having to log out and in to the other account.

I log into one account and set up details of the other account. The Yahoo server sends a verification email to the second account, but when I click on the confirmation link I get the error:

The system is experiencing some problems, please try again in a few minutes. (Error: #77231)

Yahoo's useless customer service says this error means the account has been hacked. I tried this with a newly created account and tried to add the second account less than a minute after the first account was created. It seems unlikely that the account would have been hacked so quickly, and this information from Yahoo is not in line with what their help pages say will happen if an account is hacked.

Has anyone else had this problem, or found a way to solve this problem?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why can I not add a second account to my BT Yahoo account?

From your other post, it would appear you are using a mail client rather than webmail. Which client are you using? Most allow you to have several accounts and you choose which to send from via a drop down list. You don't need to log in and out of accounts or carry out any verification procedures.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

See link how to add accounts to Windows Live Mail

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/mail-add-email-account-faq

Most email clients work in a similar manner.

When you add an email account you need to just set it up in the same manner as the first account you set up.

In the outgoing server settings you need to tick the box "my server requires authentication" and if it is not a BT email address you need to click on the settings box and then click on "log on using" and enter your BT email address and password there.

When you come to send email from the email client you should have a drop down box at the address field which allows you to select which email account you want to send from.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thank you to both licquorice and gg30340 for your replies.

Yes, I do normally use an email client (Windows Live Mail), but I have heard that by the end of June, Microsoft will prevent WLM from accessing outlook.com (or hotmail.com), so I am trying to eliminate this problem by forwarding my outlook.com email through a btinternet.com account. I have the receiving side working, but the sending side is what is giving me the problem. Since I use a Microsoft account as the login for some of my PCs, I should like to be able to use that account for emails relating to my account and my PCs.

When I set up the new btinternet.com account, this was through the website, and then when I tried to add the extra account (for sending), this was also all done on the website. This is when I got the error message. It does not matter that I use WLM normally for my mail. there is still a serious inherrent problem with the email system when it fails to add the extra account through the website interface.

If I am not using my own computer to access email, then the only real choice is to use a browser and webmail. So the problem can still be very real in that circumstance. Also, when Microsoft knife POP3/SMTP access to outlook.com, I do not want to have to use a different email client just for outlook. The clients that Microsoft seem to be pushing seem to follow the IMAP model, so if I download the emails on my laptop they will not automatically download as unread mails on my desktop PC. I don't know what happens if I delete emails from my laptop. Will the desktop still download them? It works with POP but not with IMAP.

Both this and the other post I have made today might be solved if BT ever get round to implementing the migration away from Yahoo that they promised originally for the end of 2012. At that time BT were saying that any Yahoo disposable addresses would be lost and I remember the date as I had to hurry to update all my contacts to replace the hundred or so disposable addresses with around 3 btinternet email addresses just before going into hospital for a major cancer operation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Thunderbird and Claws Mail are still available as clients and can be used for POP3 or IMAP for all mail, just move everything to one or the other. Webmail is never going to work in the same way as a client.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

Thunderbird and Claws Mail are still available as clients and can be used for POP3 or IMAP for all mail, just move everything to one or the other. Webmail is never going to work in the same way as a client.

IMAP is no use to me as it synchronises the computers and the mail server. I need to be able to do different things with emails on my laptop and desktop machines. POP3 is not going to work with Outlook after the end of June according to what I have read.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Where did you get the info that Outlook.com will not be compatible with POP3?

Windows Live Mail can be configured in three different ways. It can be POP3, IMAP or Windows Live Synchronisation which uses the DeltaSync protocol which is the default set up when you use automated set up procedure in WLM.

From what I have read all Microsoft are stopping is the Windows Live synchronisation in Outlook.com because it is not compatible. If they stop POP3 and or IMAP this would prevent any email client from working with Outlook.com 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

@gg30340 wrote:

Where did you get the info that Outlook.com will not be compatible with POP3?

There is a two-page article in the latest issue of the UK magazine 'Computer Active' which basically says that Microsoft is pulling the POP3 service from outlook.com, and has already started doing this for some accounts. Although IMAP (that I don't want to use) is still working at present, there is no guarantee that this will not go as well. The current protocols are being replaced with something called Microsoft Exchange. The article also states that Thunderbird still does not have proper Exchange support.

The article gives Microsoft's solutions:

1) Use the Microsoft mail App in 8.1 and 10, but not available in 7.

2) Use webmail - no use if you read or prepare emails offline.

3) Use Office 365, which includes an email client if you want to pay around £60 per year. This doesn't help my laptop as with only 32 GB of SSD and with Office 2013 installed as standard, I don't know if I can afford the space for Office 365 and whether it will run alongside Office 2013.

If I get a chance over the weekend I will scan the article, put it on Google drive and post the link to access it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

The easiest way to overcome the problem is to dump Outlook.com Smiley Wink

EDIT: No need to scan the article for me. I'll get a copy of the magazine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

I have found this Microsoft article that says that Windows Live Mail 2012 will stop working with outlook.com

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Windows-Live-Mail-2012-will-not-connect-to-Outlook-com-4545...

0 Ratings