cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 12

Re: Why can I not add a second account to my BT Yahoo account?

Articles I have read all suggest that is is because they are stopping the Delta Sync protocol which syncs the contacts, calendar etc.

Microsoft put out an update for WLM a while back to replace Delta Sync but it crashed machines so they had to put out another update but that proved almost as bad so they have just decided to do away with Delta Sync and not bother trying to update WLM with its replacement protocol in the same way they did away with Outlook Express when its protocols became out dated.

Apparently WLM will still work with Outlook.com with POP3 and IMAP which of course means you would need to set it up using the manual set up and not with the wizard and obviously you can not sync calendar, contacts and other Microsoft products with it  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 12

Re: Why can I not add a second account to my BT Yahoo account?

After getting the 77231 error number yet again, I called Yahoo Customer Support and spoke to someone whose first language was quite obviously not English. I was astounded by some of the things that he told me.

He said the account had been hacked by someone from Nigeria and this was what was causing the error. Yahoo's online help pages indicate that if they detect hacking they will tell account holder and suggest the password is changed. I had created a BTInternet account specificially to test adding a second account and the new account had been created less than two minutes before Yahoo produced the error message, so I think it is highly unlikely that the account had been hacked.

The next comment was that my Internet connection had been hacked and they were getting all my keystrokes. I told him that scans with top rated anti-virus and malware programs said the computer was clean. The reply - no they are on my network not on my computer.

I find this difficult to believe with two cascaded NAT routers each with its own firewall, as well as the firewall on the actual computer. Also, there are no DMZ or port forward entries set up in either router. The reply was even more staggering. The firewalls and the NATs protect you from viruses but offer no protection from hackers. Then he offered to connect to my computer and clear the problem - absolutely no chance since he had just told me they had not hacked the computer but had hacked the network as well as the garbage about having no protection from hackers.

This reply doesn't actually add anything to solving my problem, but it did tell me not to bother trying to use Yahoo's Customer No Help Team ever again.

0 Ratings