cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cseddon
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Why can I still not get BT Infinity?

BT Infinity was rolled out in 2011 and I am told that I still cannot get it - despite living in Holloway, North London. The website says there is not even any plan to make it available. After sis years nobody seems to be able to tell me why a) this densely populated region cannot get BT Infinity and b) when if ever it will be made available. 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Why can I still not get BT Infinity?

What's your postcode?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. Post a screen shot of the results after you have deleted your phone number.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

Sometime in the future Openreach may install a cabinet out side the exchange and this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time.

Use your BT phone number. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

cseddon
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

It says that I am on an exchange only line but there is a cabinet at the end of my road

Which is a cul-de-sac. So why on earth would I not be connected to the cabinet?

0 Ratings
cseddon
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

I've clicked on it until I am blue in the face and it does not give me any option to give a rating.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

a lot of lines are exchange only it is not unusual
0 Ratings
cseddon
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

My flat is one of just 86 residential addresses in a cul-de-sac with a cabinet at the end of the street - so I really do not understand why I should be stuck with a useless exechange only line. Is there any way I can get one of the proper lines instead given the cabinet is less than 100m away?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

In short. No.

Openreach MAY carry out some line plant rearrangement, but this isn't somehing you can request.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
cseddon
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Then I guess it's time to axe BT. I don't see why I should be expected to pay the same for a sub-standard line as people are charged for a proper one. 

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Unless you move to Virgin, a mobile network, or a fixed wireless provider, your next ISP would still be using the Openreach network.

You pay for a copper line, which your are provided with. Nowhere does it stats how it has to be delivered.
0 Ratings