Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prinknash
Expert
Message 11 of 36

Re: Why can't BT fix the Smart Hub?

@gg30340 wrote:

So do you think that the software updates were just a lucky guess by the developers as to what the problems they were to try and fix.

I've no idea. That's the point: users are given no information about what (if any) problems have been identified, nor are they ever told what changes have been made in new firmware, and why.

p

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 36

As per my post.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 36

@MorgaineD wrote:

As @prinknash says.

It's a matter of evidence, not assumption.  If the problems reported here by numerous contributors were being reported back to management or developers, it seems likely that they would be addressed.  But over all these months, they have not been visibly addressed (in the sense of fixed), or even changed in character.

If you are going to edit every post you make after it has been reponded to I see no further point in even trying to repond to you!

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 14 of 36

@prinknashwrites:

> "That's the point: users are given no information about what (if any) problems have been identified, nor are they ever told what changes have been made in new firmware, and why."

That's an absolutely excellent point.

It's extremely surprising (to the point of being unprofessional) that there is no ongoing change log associated with firmware updates.  Even amateur projects provide change logs to users as an entirely normal development procedure.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 15 of 36

@gg30340:

This forum provides the user facility for posts to be editable for a short period after first posted, so that the posts can be improved and made as useful as possible.  I always try to make mine as presentable and informative as I can.

If you don't like that then there is an easy solution:  wait until the editable period has expired so that posts no longer change.  Otherwise overlap between edits is a very common occurrence.  We all experience it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 36

@MorgaineD wrote:

@gg30340:  What?

This forum provides the user facility for posts to be editable for a short period after first posted, so that the posts can be improved and made as useful as possible.  I always try to make mine as presentable and informative as I can.

If you don't like that then there is an easy solution:  wait until the editable period has expired so that posts no longer change.

By editing your posts after they have been responded can make the response to that post meaningless or seem out of context.

By doing your "easy solution" would mean waiting about 15/30mins. I am sure that will lead to an very fluent flow of a thread!

0 Ratings
DaveD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 36

As someone who has also been through quite a few HH6 Smartub issues in the last month, I am left with a sense of frustration 

My suspicion is  that this great piece of hardware that has been let down by firmware - when it works it is one of the best simple routers that I have used (and I have used quite a few)  great Wireless range and speed

My frustration along with many others is the process that we have to go through to even report a problem, never mind actually request a refund. Denial is not a good strategy and I think that BT will lose customers and reputation unless they recognise that there does appear to be an intermittent problem at least with wireless connectivity (I have lots more detail if anyone is interested) 

In a web chat last week after getting escalated - I was told in no uncertain terms that there were no reported issues with Smarthub HH6, well I beg to differ... 

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 18 of 36

@DaveD writes:

> "In a web chat last week after getting escalated - I was told in no uncertain terms that there were no reported issues with Smarthub HH6, well I beg to differ..."

Wow! 😞

Well that strongly reinforces what we've been saying here, that there appears to be no effective feedback path for details of the faults that are being experienced by HH6 users on an ongoing basis.  "No reported issues" is quite staggering.

0 Ratings
DaveD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 36

I have been told by other techies that Infinity is a great service, just a **** router, so buy a proper one and move on 🙂 

OK, I know that....  and one part of me that wants an easy life would to do just that....  but the stubborn streak comes out and says "I know that my old HH4 is reliable but darn it, I paid good hard earned money for a Smarthub HH6 and I just want it to work or my money back!"  🙂 

Also the techie side of me really wants to really get to the root of the problem and help BT solve it for every smarthub customer, but I accept that it so difficult when we have an intermittent problem with many devices that is so difficult to nail down (adding to the frustration of some of the mods trying to help) 

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 20 of 36

Well said, @DaveD.

As an engineer myself (both EE and CompSci), I see this as a problem to be fixed as rapidly and efficiently as possible, both to avoid damaging BT's reputation further and to stop inflicting pain on its HH6 users.

But fixing something first requires knowing that it is broken, and there is no direct evidence that that information is getting through.  Quite a few people have requested that BT acknowledge the quite severe equipment faults being experienced, but without any results at all so far.

And without a changelog of fixes made in firmware releases, it's hard to know if the issues being reported here are being addressed at all.

0 Ratings