cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmather
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Why can't I see all programs in 16:9 format

I have the G4 version of the Youview+ box. This is a Humax box. My 5 year old PVR (also a Humax) sent programs to my TV in a format that allowed the 4:3 format programs to be upscaled automatically to 16:9 format. I am unable to do this on the new G4 box. 5 years on and the technology from Humax has gone backwards. How can this be fixed. I have changed hdmi leads. Changed the hdmi input on the tv. I have tried using a scart connection and even tried a different tv. BT technical help say their boxes do the same and that I was the first complaint they had received re this issue. Why do I not believe this?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why can't I see all programs in 16:9 format

You can't. It's a 'feature'. I have some relatives who preferred their old 4:3 programmes stretched to fill the whole 16:9 screen. Somebody will be along shortly telling you that doing this would be incorrect etc. All I know is that all previous non-YouView Humax boxes could do this but YouView does't support this... 😞

0 Ratings
wmather
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

All I am asking for is for the picture to be passed to the tv in its original broadcasted format so that the tv can adjust it if required. The 4:3 format seams to be imbedded in a 16:9 frame before passing to the tv. In this format the tv can't make the adjustment. The viewer (customer) should have the option as to which format they see. The purists can still View in 4:3 if they want. As you have confirmed, Humax have employed this in previous recorders, so it is not rocket science to implement this.
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Humax and all the other Youiview box suppliers  (eg Huawei) have to conform to the Youview specification - So many of the features on previous Humax PVRs are not available on Youview boxes. Many TVs will allow you to change the  picture aspect if you want to. There are many user requests on the Youview community forum - which is probably the best place to lobby for any changes.

wmather
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

The Youview box does not pass forward the signal in its original format. If it did then the tv could change the picture aspect. I have tried with 3 different tvs and none can change the format that is output from the Youview box. They can change the signal from the old Humax box as well as the signal on a direct aerial feed.
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

I thought Youview  boxes passed the signal in the format that the channel transmitted which may be the original format it was filmed in or the format that the channel opted to transmit in.

0 Ratings