cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MYH
Contributor
Message 11 of 29

Re: Why can't I utilise BT Call Protect?

Go to solution

Hi @DavidM.

Many thanks for your offer of assistance.

I am logged into the forum, and this probably is avery daft question, but where is the contact link on this page which I presume is your profile page?

DavidM.png

Clicking on "Contact Me" has no effect.

Do I need to add you as a Friend to be able to contact you?

I am beginning to wonder whether there is a lack of compatibility between the OS and browsers I am using and the BT  and BT Community Forum websites.

My computer is a 2009 2.93GHz 8-Core Mac Pro desktop and I am using Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). Most of the time I use Safari Version 6.2.8 as my browser, but at the moment I am using Firefox Version 48.0.2.

That is because I have used both browsers when using both the BT and BT Community Forum websites, but whereas Firefox gives me a menu bar with all the options for editing my replies on the forum, this bar is not shown when I use Safari.

Whichever browser I use I still end up with the same page (i.e. as shown above) when I click on DavidM, and I cannot see a contact link on either even though I am logged into the community.

Using either browser the result has been the same when I have tried to manage BT Call Protect; i.e. as detailed in my earlier reply to @Zombie.

Neverthless, regardless of any potential compatibility issues affecting my ability to manage BT Call Protect online, I would have thought that BT Call Protect should automatically be preventing calls from "number withheld" and "we do not have the caller's number" callers.

Anyway, I would very much appreciate details of how I can find your contact link using my existing OS and browsers.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

I'm sorry @MYH. My fault Smiley Embarassed. Can you try again?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
MYH
Contributor
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @DavidM,

Many, many thanks for adding the contact details - it made all the difference!Smiley Happy

I have now filled in and submitted my details, and have received an email in acknowledgement.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

@MYH: Not at cross purposes but just using different terminology for the same thing. BT Answer 1571 is Voicemail on a BT landline.

The "junk voicemail" is part of BT Call Protect & is completely independent of BT Answer 1571 voicemail. You can have the former w/out the latter as I do on 1 of my lines.

Expert
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

No problem @MYH must be a bug with the account if it's not letting you active it. I'm sure @DavidM will get it sorted out for yo

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

I asked you earlier to check in your MyBT for BT Call Protect under Manage my calling features. Does it look like: 

Add BT Call Protect & voicemail services

BT Call Protect is a brilliant new service which helps you prevent nuisance calls. Its free and simple to set up.
If you have BT Answer 1571 or Call Minder simply select the enhanced version below with BT Call Protect. There is no extra charge.

BT Call Protect & voicemail services Monthly
*BT Call Protect

BT Call Protect gives you the ability to identify and prevent nuisance calls by sending them to a junk voicemail service. You can retrieve messages by dialling 1572 from your home phone.

£0.00
BT Answer 1571 with BT Call Protect

BT Answer 1571 with BT Call Protect combines a personal voicemail service that answers your calls when you are away from your phone, with a feature that allows you to identify and prevent nuisance calls by sending them to a separate junk voicemail service. Includes VIP and Do Not Disturb features that give you greater control of the calls you receive.

£2.50
BT Call Minder with BT Call Protect

BT Call Minder with BT Call Protect combines a personal answering service that lets you retrieve your messages from any phone with a feature that allows you to identify and preven nuisance calls by sending them to a seperate junk voicemail service. Includes VIP and Do Not Disturb features that give you greater control of the calls you recieve.

£4.50

with the radio button against BT Call Protect only? If you had BT Answer 1571 Voicemail you'd be paying £2.50 extra.

Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Many thanks for clarifying the situation regarding voicemail. This should have been explained to me at the outset by BT when I asked to have voicemail deactivated.

I asked you earlier to check in your MyBT for BT Call Protect under Manage my calling features. Does it look like: 

No! I have never come across "Manage my calling features" in MyBT details but I do see this in my "package overview":

Active add-ons & calling features.png

When I click on Manage calling features & add-ons I see this:

Manage BT Call Protect.png

If I click on Manage BT Call Protect I see this:

BT Progress your order.png

I have always accessed "Manage BT Call Protect" via my "Your inclusive extras" page and then the outcome has always been as I have previously described in detail.

Now it is a matter of waiting to find out whether or not BT can resolve the problem.

If the problem should be due to incompatibility between Mac OS X Mountain Lion and BT's website then I will have to accept that I cannot use BT Call Protect, because I do not want to use a more recent OS at the moment.

Mountain Lion dates from 2012, but, in fact, until very recently I was still using Snow Leopard (late 2009) as my OS for about 99% of my computer usage. I still think it was the best, and the last OS that Apple designed principally for desktop computer users. I only installed Mountain Lion on one of my SSDs because I could no longer use Snow Leopard for online banking when my bank "upgraded" its website.

Since then they have been designed for laptop users and for integration with iOS devices. I still use Snow Leopard on another SSD, but mainly for offline usage now, and I have also installed El Capitan on yet another SSD but I very rarely use that drive.

I do not use a mobile phone because of my severe hearing loss, but if I should do so in the future it would definitely be an iPhone. However, I do intend to buy an iPad Pro, if and when I receive my overdue £150 BT Reward Card. Then it might be worth my while to use El Capitan more often, just for its better compatibility with iOS, even though a lot of El Capitan's features are superfluous for my needs as a desktop computer and non-cloud storage user.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

In that "Progress your order" fill in your phone no., postcode & "I confirm" and what do you see for BT Call Protect? You don't need to complete anything & can always Cancel.

MyBT is a bit of a labyrinth & there are many routes to the same facility.

Contributor
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @XRaySpeX,

I have done what you said, albeit that I had to arrive at "Progress your order" via a different route than last time because the layout of the page had changed since my last visit, although I am using the same OS and browser. Very strange!

My "package overview" no longer shows the "Active add-ons & Calling features" section which I displayed in my last post.

It has been replaced with a "Calling features & add-ons" section, and so I used a different route.

Anyway, when I filled in my details and progressed, I arrived at a page titled "Phone:CallingFeatures" with an "Add BT Call Protect & voicemail services" sub-section which is as you described in your post on ‎24-10-2017 6h17.

I can confirm that the radio button is against BT Call Protect only and that it is priced at £0.00.

Unfortunately, this does not resolve my problem, but yet again proves that BT Call Protect is supposed to be active, which had already been confirmed by the other routes I had used previously.

I have checked again and I still have the same problems as I stated in my post of 23-10-2017 8h22 - edited ‎23-10-2017 8h29 in reply to @Zombie.

So I will wait and see whether or not BT are able to provide a solution.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @MYH,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your home number a quick call. I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today. I've had a look over the details of your account. It looks as though the Call Protect hasn't been correctly enabled on the network for your line, even though its showing as active on the account. 

The only way to get this corrected is to remove the Call Protect and then reorder it. I've placed an order to delete the Call Protect, this should complete with in the next 24 hours. Once that's done you should be able to reorder the service though your My BT.

Please can you give that ago tomorrow and let me know how you get on?

Thanks

PaddyB