cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeadGardener
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Why can't you get BT to issue another bill when current one is incorrect?

Go to solution

I paid my Line Rental Saver up to 13 November 2012, and on 26 October I renewed this by credit card, and received the confirmation email from BT that same day.    BT emailed me the next day to view my 3 monthly bill online,( due to be taken from my account on 9 November 2012.)  The bill charged me the 3 months line rental in advance, meaning I have paid twice for line rental.  I rang the call centre only to be told there was nothing they could do and I would have to wait THREE MONTHS for a refund.  This is simply not good enough.  I sent off a complaint to ebilling and after a couple of days it was clear they had not read/understood my complaint and they just reiterated that I have to wait three months for a refund.  I have sent off two more emails to ebilling but they send back emails that are incomprehensible, misspelled and do not answer the fundamental questions. 

Why can't BT issue a new bill with the correct amount on (there is plenty of time to do this)? 

Why, when they have all my bank details, can they not simply refundthe money to my account anyway? 

Why should I wait three months because THEY have made an error? 

Why can't I talk to someone who speaks English as a first language who can deal with my complaint?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Gonemad1
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why can't you get BT to issue another bill when current one is incorrect?

Go to solution

Don't know if this is relevant to your circumstances or not, but i believe it's not uncommon for some phone companies to charge 3 months rental when paying quarterly &/or when your credit status may not be as they'd like it to be.

0 Ratings
HeadGardener
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Money was paid by my credit card company instantaneously - I have checked it has gone out.  I know they ask for 3 months rental in advance, I've been with BT since 1970s when they were part of the Post Office.  But I had already paid line rental in advance so they had no right to charge me again for it. 

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
You were unlucky that the payment was made within 24 hours of your bill being generated (so the line rental payment wasn't fully processed). I don't know why they can't re-issue bills, maybe it's to stop things getting even messier!

Might interest you to know that since February BT has made monthly billing mandatory for renewing line rental customers to stop exactly this problem from reoccurring a year later (so instead of getting caught out with 3 months charges for rental, it's only 1 months worth).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

I am sorry to see you are having problems

I suggest you contact live chat at this link they should be able to help you

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Of course BT should correct your bill and refund the overpayment, but for some reason they simply refuse point blank to do this.

Basically you will never get a refund, the best they will do for you is credit your account when your next bill is due, that is why they are telling you to wait 3 months, quarterly billing. Contact Trading Standards or/& BBC Watchdog. 

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Hi HeadGardener,

If you signed up to Line Rental Saver you're now on monthly billing, so you'll get the rental refunded back on your next bill (which will be due within the next month, depending on your billing date).

Basically you changed to Line Rental Saver after your bill was issued, meaning your bill showed your normal rental charges in advance. It’s not possible to issue a revised bill but any charges raised for the period after you signed up to Line Rental Saver will be credited back automatically on your next monthly bill.

You could try getting in touch with our Live Chat team to confirm this, see john46’s post for the link to them.

Stephanie

HeadGardener
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Yes I KNOW all this.  I understand, that I was unlucky with the timining.  

However,  my point is that they hold my money for another 3 months.  They have all my bank details, at least a week (now, it was two weeks when I first complained) to sort out a correct bill.  There is no reason in 2012 why we should have to wait three months to get our money back.  They could credit it back instantaneously!

If they had made mention on the original line rental renewal  email that I had less than 4 days to renew until my next bill I might have got around to it sooner.  I thought that as they were asking nearly a whole MONTH before it was due, I had a few days grace.

I did pay with my credit card, so I guess I could get them to wrestle it back from BT.  I think this is appalling that they can get away with this.

I am still billed quarterly, not monthly as one of the other posters mentioned  - how can I change to this and get my money back sooner?

0 Ratings
HeadGardener
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Well I have been on the line rental saver since November 2011 and I am still billed quarterly.  How on earth do you get on monthly billing - I'd much prefer this anyway and I would get my money back two months sooner too!

0 Ratings
HeadGardener
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I am not on monthly billing - How do I get on it now?  I can get money back much sooner that way.

0 Ratings