Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zinctank
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Why cant I connect to ADSL2?

Go to solution

Hi all,

I am currently on BT total BB opt 3 after upgrading from BtYahoo, but I can only connect to ADSLmax via my home hub, when I understand my local exchange is enabled for ADSL2. Has there been a failed upgrade or is there another issue? I'm not sure what to do now.
Router info - 
GDMT
D-7616000
U-448000
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Why cant I connect to ADSL2?

Go to solution

check your exchange here  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search   see if 21CN enabled

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
zinctank
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Hi
thanks for your reply and help, just checked that now, and yes I can confirm that that website says that it is 21CN enabled for 2 years now. Could there be an issue at there end or mine?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

you may have to agree another 12 month contract before you can upgraded to 21CN.  There are posts where this has happened but there are also posts who have managed upgrading without a new contract.  you can try sales 08007830056  and see if you can make any progress

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
zinctank
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you for that, I will give that a try and post how I get on. I really appreciate the help, starting to feel a bit stuck.

Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

all I would say is be careful what you wish for - I hope you have read some of the posts on the forum of 21CN upgrades and that most go ok ( don't hear of them) but some do not. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ISP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Yep you're certainly correct. Make sure you're account has been changed over. If your speeds increase to over 8 Mbps you will need to regrade. I'd also check these settings just in case you are on ADSL2+ already

Connection type: PPPoA (PPPoATM)
VCI = 38, VPI = 0
Encapsulation: VCMUX
Modulation: G.DMT
RFC: 2364
Network type: WAN (Not LAN)

MTU: Auto/Normal 1458 – 1500 (Lower numbers can help if data corruption occurs default is 1500)
QOS: UBR (Unlikely to be CBR/VBR)

The username should be of the format firstname.lastname@btbroadband.com for BTBB customers. Also no password is required, but if the router insists, use bt as the password.
0 Ratings
zinctank
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Hi,
Just rang BT sales, and I found the answer was, as you suggested, in that I had to take out a new contract to get ADSL2 and that my old contract was for ADSLmax. I get upgraded next week.- will let the forum know how I get on. The gentleman on the from BT was very helpful.

Thanks to your replies the help was exactly what I needed. Im very grateful for that.

Fingers crossed it will go ok, I have read some posts about the horror stories in upgrading, but here's hoping I have some luck.

Thanks again.
0 Ratings
zinctank
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Hi all,
First I'd like to thank imjolly and all other posters/members for helping. As of today I am fully on ADSL2+ at a stable 8-9 Mbps, the training period is also up, which saw a lot of ups and downs, but all is very good now. I am very pleased -took a long time and work to get it sorted, so I am grateful for the help.

So the answer I found for any others with this issue is to ring BT sales (not the useless overseas call centres), upgrade to a new 12 month contract for ADSL2+ (hopefully with a reduction in price as I was able to get)

I couldn't have achieved this without help from the forum (the overseas call centres told me very incorrect things)

Many thanks again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

glad you got upgraded and seems like without problems - even betterSmiley Wink

0 Ratings