cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apple123
Message 1 of 6

Why cant I order a phone line

Have just moved into a new flat, tried to order phone. BT tell me someone else has registered a phone already from my flat this is impossible as flat is new build.

BT refuse to tell me who service provider is for this line so I cannot contact them to sort this out.

So I am stuck without phone. Have phoned BT twice today only to be told we know the provider but won't tell you, even it this is fraud.

What can I do

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why cant I order a phone line

you need to contact the developer and get them to contact BT and explain that it is a new build with no previous occupier it sounds like possible addresses have got mixed up
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Is there a telephone socket in the flat, if so plug a phone into it and see if it works, if it does try ringing 150 because the majority of telephone service providers use this as their default customer service number, i.e. if the line is with BT it would go through to BT or if it is with Virgin would go through to them.

'BT refuse to tell me who service provider is for this line so I cannot contact them to sort this out.'

What you are basically doing there is asking the operator you are speaking to is to break the law, how do they know you are not actually trying to commit some kind of crime yourself by trying to obtain the account holders details of the person who actually lives in the property?

apple123
Message 4 of 6

I am not trying to commit fraud myself -  thank you

Their is no dial tone when I plug a phone in.

BT are refusing to even advise me what I should do unless I sign up to a 18 month broadband and phone contract I don't want and can't afford.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 6

Hi apple123,

plainview certainly wasn't accusing you of anything, just pointing out that we can’t tell you who owns the line, for the account’s security.

Did you want your services with us or another provider? If with us, please use our "Contact us" form to forward your details to us, so we can look into this further for you.

You can get the form by clicking on my username, and it's under "About me" (top-left of my profile page).

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
apple123
Message 6 of 6

I was going to join BT but have changed my mind as I found your call centre staff very unhelpful. I was only asking for help  not for any private information

They tell me I cant have a phone because some else has set up a contract using my address

Than tell me if I take out an expensive deal with BT all of a sudden their is no problem with my line

I would rather just stick to my mobile

0 Ratings