cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webduck
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Why charge for Bank transfers?

BT penalises everyone who doesnt pay by direct debit because they claim that it "costs" more to process the payments. What about online payments made by BACS transfer? Surely they should not be charging for those because they are electronic payments that go straight into BT's account!!

I cannot see what charges are involved there. We refuse to use Direct debit because too many problems arise where mistakes are made with people's bills....BT take the money and then the customer has the hassle of chasing up for refunds and dealing with all kinds of other infuriating issues. We prefer to keep control of our own money, thank you.

Why dont they lift the penalties on direct BACS transfer?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Why charge for Bank transfers?

BT like direct debits because they can grab the money from your account automatically when it's due.

All the other methods rely on customers paying their bills on time, and many don't.

0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Dont forget if any company takes an incorrect amount from a direct debit you can phone your bank and they WILL give you a full and immediate refund.

0 Ratings
webduck
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

That's besides the point. The issue is about control over one's own bank account, NOT the fact that your "friendly bank" will refund the money in the case of a wrong bill. If we had control over our accounts, it wouldnt happen in the first place. And no-one has answered my question. Why does BT charge for an electronic payment method that puts the money directly into their account?

see here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9855/~/how-can-i-pay-my-bill%3F

Although this page says,

You may be able to pay your bill through a simple bank transfer from your current account, over the phone or online. We don't charge for this facility, but you should check with your bank or building society concerning any charges or terms and conditions that might apply.

However BT refuted this when I asked the question on LiveChat. So come on.....is it free of charges or isnt it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

@webduck wrote:

That's besides the point. The issue is about control over one's own bank account, NOT the fact that your "friendly bank" will refund the money in the case of a wrong bill. If we had control over our accounts, it wouldnt happen in the first place. And no-one has answered my question. Why does BT charge for an electronic payment method that puts the money directly into their account?

see here:

Although this page says,

You may be able to pay your bill through a simple bank transfer from your current account, over the phone or online. We don't charge for this facility, but you should check with your bank or building society concerning any charges or terms and conditions that might apply.

However BT refuted this when I asked the question on LiveChat. So come on.....is it free of charges or isnt it?

If that is what it says on the web page, go back to Live Chat and this time give them the page address.

[edit] Even better just print off the web page and store it away. Pay by bank transfer and if they do charge you , you have the printed web page saying that BT don't charge you, remember also that your bank might.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
webduck
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I have already done that. I have the printed version of that page and the digital. I intend to pursue it. My bank does not make charges for this type of payment, I have made them often.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@webduck wrote:

see here:

Although this page says,

You missed the section just a little bit further down the page:

"

Information about the payment processing fee

Customers choosing not to pay by Whole Bill Direct Debit or Monthly Payment Plan will be charged a payment processing fee of £1.80 a month / £5.40 a quarter. The payment processing fee will be charged by BT Payment Services Ltd, a separate BT Group company. This fee is one of the lowest in the industry.

"

Most of the utility companies now offer discounts for paying by Direct Debit (or will only accept payment that way).  BT is just being a bit different by charging an extra fee for not using DD, rather than offering a discound for using it.

As I said before, companies really like being paid on-time, and in the olden days of paper bills and paying by cheque, many people paid late.  DD solves this problem from BT's point of view - and they are the ones who set the charges.

0 Ratings
webduck
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

I am still refusing to pay the charges. And in fact I am now in the process of terminating the BT accounts for both my properties and moving to the Post office, who allow me to pay whatever way I choose, without extra charges. As a point of interest, the Co-Op only charges £1 per month extra if you don't pay by direct debit, so that undercuts BT for a start.

When in the near future these big corporations take even more control of your accounts because you've bowed your heads to the yoke of direct debit, don't start whimpering. There are those of us who prefer to take responsibility for our own lives and bills, rather than letting someone else do it. You'll soon see why, next year. Toodle-pip.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@webduck wrote:

We refuse to use Direct debit because too many problems arise where mistakes are made with people's bills....

I've used Direct Debit for pretty well everything for 30 years or more. The only problems which occurred have been when I've cacked it up myself, and I guess that goes for most people if the truth were known.   

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Ook
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

@pottyperson

that may be true for yourself , But people have had DD's with bt where they have taken 2 sometimes 3 payments (monthly dd but they have deducted 3 months worth at a time for 3-4 months in a row) And a refund from your bank is no longer immediate its 5 day clearing AND if always for the full amount meaning you will be made as a late payment and penalised that way.

Theres a lot of people who have had negative issues occur 8-10 months not a problem tthen all of a sudden mass issues. And once you have gone through the mass issues with BT you will be too suspicious and annoyed to do so again (like they get 400-500 pounds in credit and getting your money back takes ages and ages as they try to find ways to stop you getting your cash back)

0 Ratings