cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
layman72
Contributor
Message 11 of 66

Re: Why do BT not offer Sky Sports in HD?

@D-ave wrote:

@zulu17 wrote:

They are not obliged to have all the premier league on Sky 1 - as was evidenced when they put an Arsenal game on another channel as they wanted to show all  of  a Darts tournament on Sky 1.

They are obliged to have the vast majority of it on SS1 and the rest, IIRC, on SS2. They won't get away with shifting PL footy off SS1 for more than the odd occasion, not only because of the OFCOM regs. but also because many people (including me) subscribe to SS1 *only* because all we are interested in is PL football. I can assure you that there'd be one hell of a stink if they change that part way through a season, quite apart from the WMO rules which are ongoing (or pending review).

PL football will stay on SS1 as it stands. As for BT subscribers watching SS football in HD then I don't see this happening until the conclusion of the ongoing review into Sky's WMO obligations. Sky does have to offer SS1 and SS2 in HD but the price is not regulated it only has to be "fair and reasonable" whatever that means.

Sky will not want to give its HD channels to BT as it is petrified of losing customers, so it is probably asking for a silly price which its knows will put BT off. BT will also not want to get into a lengthy legal dispute on this just yet.

So don't get your hopes up of getting Sky Sports HD on BT Youview any time soon. If we do it will be a pleasant surprise.

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 12 of 66

You are probably right. I think many (including me) clinging on to hope following Broadcast magazine saying it was imminent.
0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 66

There are a whole number of reasons on the rumor mill.

Sky are not happy with BT for not letting them wholesale BT sports ( like virgin do ) as a result Sky are not letting BT wholesale their channels above what they have to under wholesale order. Sky might be using the negotiation tactic of let us wholesale your channels too or we don't give you access to sky sports 3,4,5, HD.

Sky do not approve of the encryption used in BT youview , ( BT vision which uses an a recent version of  the Nagravision encryption system gets sky sports 5 ). I don't know why that would be the case, it's all built into the box and can be renewed with a software update. Much quicker renwal than swapping out viewing cards.

It is clear that as yet there is no agreement between sky and BT for the Wholesale Sky sports 1 and 2 in HD in the wholesale order, the definition of reasonable price being negotiable.

I doubt ether party is budging without a firm nudge. I doubt nether provider wants the situation all party's get everything on all platforms which would be fantastic for the customer, but bad for profits. for example I'd switch to a decent independent ISP, an actual FTTP provider for internet. If i where able to get BT sport elsewhere like via sky at a reasonable price.

I really hope The BT openreach wholesale line rental - less broadband line provision happens as scheduled next year and forces an end to the line rental rip off ( and BT are far from the only guilt party all the big providers are milking it and raising prices together despite the fact wholesale line rental has not gone up in 8 years).

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 14 of 66

I don't buy the encryption argument as TalkTalk has all the channels on the same technology. 

pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 66

All speculation. As stated nothing will be announced until, of if, BT supply this service. Due to NDA so pointless speculating it will happen, or possible happen, when BT decide to offer this service.

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 16 of 66

I'm sorry but I don't buy that argument either. The NDA (which we don't even know if one is in place - that, again, is speculation) didn't apply when they were talking to Broadcast, did it?

0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 66

Actually NDA are not speculation. All new produce launches are tested first with trialists. I know I was on the UHD trial for 4 months prior to launch testing and giving feedback. So I do not speculate, I know nothing about the launch or not of Sky Sports HD however from my experience it will to tested before launch either internally or with customers, so WILL be subject to NDA.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 66

Why is video encryption even a problem? If a user isn't provisioned then the channel won't get sent from the cabinet to the user in the first place so there is nothing to decrypt. 

I think the Sky commercial types still think BT is broadcasting over DTT..... Probably deliberately as another way to string things out.

as has been said Talk Talk use exactly the same system as BT and are able to supply all SS channels.

0 Ratings
KernowChris
Expert
Message 19 of 66

There's an interesting side effect to this. 

I am now sitting down to watch Bayern - Leverkusen on BTSE. I wouldn't mind watching Spurs - Everton actually, however the HD offering of the German game is the tie breaker. 

I wonder how many others are deflected towards BT Sport content over Sky Sports, and increasing the BTS viewing figures, as a consequence of the HD question. Is this aspect an element in the overall decision making process?

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 20 of 66

Product launches and hardware = yes NDAs apply and I've been involved in them before.

Launching channels in HD = would seriously doubt it.

We don't know if there is an NDA over Sly Sports - so don't attempt to insist there is unless you have concrete proof.

I ought to say, in time honour forum fashion ... Source????
0 Ratings