cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarethW
Expert
Message 21 of 66

Re: Why do BT not offer Sky Sports in HD?

Elvis, this is tiresome. You signed up for a service you knew didn't have Sky Sports HD, and you knew which service(s) did. 

BT TV is a budget service, so expect a budget service. 

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 22 of 66

Gareth,

Thanks for your constructive input.

Might be tiresome for you. I'm merely asking questions. What is wrong with that, exactly? Not interested in this debate? Don't read it.

For the record I'm extremely happy with the BT TV service. Just have one minor niggle.

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 66

@Elviskelly

I doubt there is an NDA on any negotiations between Sky and BT, but it is bad etiquette for anyone actually involved and the know with these negotiations to go public, considering they are private conversions. 

Sky are very no announcements until it's done, any new hardware release has to be good to go before they announce it or let info out. I thought BT's UHD announcement and acknowledgement was quite early.

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 24 of 66

@TNT555

Interestingly the roadblock over Sky Sports on YouView was played out in very public way. If Sky are not dealing on FND basis, wonder how long it'll be before same situation brews?

Or, ultimately, if this will all be part of the Ofcom WMO negotiations.
0 Ratings
layman72
Contributor
Message 25 of 66

@Elviskelly wrote:
@TNT555

Interestingly the roadblock over Sky Sports on YouView was played out in very public way. If Sky are not dealing on FND basis, wonder how long it'll be before same situation brews?

Or, ultimately, if this will all be part of the Ofcom WMO negotiations.

The outcome of WMO is key here. Sky are insisting on being able to wholesale BT Sport channels in return for supplying Sky Sports to BT.

BT will not want to agree to this becuase this means that Sky can set its own prices for BT Sport as part of a bundle with other services such as broadband and could really damage BT's investment in BT Sport.

Sky will not want to agree to wholesale all the Sky Sports channels and HD for similar reasons.

Sky's problem is that it is currently charging its customers around £65 per month to watch sports in HD because they have to buy the very expensive top of the range entertainment pack costing £36 per month. At the moment I can watch BT Sports in HD (plus Entertainment HD) and Sky Sports 1 and 2 for £36 (i'm actually paying £32 as I have HD for free for a year). Let's say Sky Sports 1 and 2 in HD becomes available for £30 per month. My cost is now £44 per month. This now looks like a very attractive package to Sky customers paying £65 and Sky knows this.

The FA should be watching these developments closely as well. If football and sports no longer becomes exclusive content to BT or Sky then the price paid for football rights might fall which would be great news for consumers.

As I said in my earlier post, the stalemate will persist for a while yet. OFCOM has said it will report back on WMO in 2015 so don't expect any outcome on Sky Sports 1 and 2 in HD on BT Youview any time soon.

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 26 of 66

Great post. Agree WMO will be key.

I jumped ship from Sky for the exact reasons you've outlined. The insistence from Sky to bundle Sport on top of the most expensive ents package is looking very non competitive in an age of cable cutters.
0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 27 of 66

Personally speaking of rather have the missing sports channels before the HD ones.
0 Ratings
Westyfield2
Contributor
Message 28 of 66

@benwiddowson wrote:
Personally speaking of rather have the missing sports channels before the HD ones.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, HD would be good too.  But in order of priority, I'd say getting the full line up comes first.

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 66

@Elviskelly wrote:
Great post. Agree WMO will be key.

I jumped ship from Sky for the exact reasons you've outlined. The insistence from Sky to bundle Sport on top of the most expensive ents package is looking very non competitive in an age of cable cutters.

Funny you say they, BT have done the same with UHD, granded the entertainment UHD pack isn't anywhere near as expensive as sky but still, it was £6 more than getting than the price for getting BT sport europe and HD pack from BT via SKY.

Believe me i know, I pay full wack for sky sports HD on Sky and BT Sports UHD on BTTV. I'm not remotly intrested in the entertainment stuff anymore, I just don't have the time. If it wern't for others in the house I'd of dont somthing about it.

Honestly I think the only way we the customer get what we want is a Must wholesale agreement on all content providers with exclusive Sports rights, later TV shows and movies including SD/HD/UHD. That will be a huge nudge from ofcom enableling some proper competition, I don't think Sky or BT will like it.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 30 of 66

Hi Everyone,

I cant offer much detail about this but what I can say is that BT plan to make these channels available in the future and will be able to share more information when we launch.

Cheers

Sean