cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JacobB
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Why do other providers give me 4MB speed on my line.?

Following my Very bad speed on my line, I have rang various providers, Including O2 and all of them give me 4 MB. But BT give me 1 MB at the most. And my exchange has 21CN. And i am 7 miles from it,

I am confused They can't be lieing, Because of Ofcom rules. Is it possible that they route there conections to a different exchange.?

I am interested, because if i can get 4MB then GoodBye BT, And i am just about to change to Business.!

Thank's everyone.

JacobB
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: Why do other providers give me 4MB speed on my line.?

Very unlikely to be a different exchange, but could be their own kit at the exchange. How certain are they of the speeds they are quoting, or is it just a guess?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Sorry JacobB but are you sure you are 7 miles from your exchange?  If you know your down attenuation then you check distance using this website  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Robbie
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

The line speed estimators are just that.  When I bought my current house the BT speed estimate for my phone number was 3.7Mbps, but when I used the postcode for the house it gave me a figure of 7Mbps, which was the same as the figure provided from other suppliers.

On moving into the house I did indeed have a speed of 3.7Mbps (ie as stated by BT for my telephone number and equalled what the previous owner said his speed was).  Once I fixed the internal wiring and BT tweaked the connection the speed increased to the 8 Mbps adsl maximum.  A few months later a postcode check still gave 7Mbps whilst a search on my telephone number had increase to 7Mbps too.

The point is that BT figures are conservative and, if they have the current adsl connection speed, can reflect actual data.  If there is a fault that slows the connection artificially then this can pollute the data; equally if they know local conditions slow the speed from that normally expected then this can be in their data but not in their competitors.

0 Ratings
JacobB
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

My exchange is Westham,Eat sussex.

I am along way from it. My Maximum speed on my line is 1 MB. This has been raised a number of times, with technical.Customer services. I am on option 3. I have never ecver got faster then a MB. Which is very sad.

I have another exchange 2-3 miles away. I did post a question on here 2-4 weeks ago about if BT can switch me, Looks like they can't.

It seriously irritates me. I was even told by Customer services i was die a complete line upgrade. And then the next day, Sorry we didn't say that. 

Anyway. I don't understand. I have rang O2 and they assured me i can get 4 MB online checkers and word of mouth. I rang BE* Sky broadband same. I rang BT's partner Plusnet they said the same 4MB, So BT what the F*ck are you doing wrong.?  Where is my 3MB.! Smiley Mad

JacobB
0 Ratings
JacobB
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Downstream
Attenuation: 50 DB.

Aprox line length: 3.6 km

dsl max: 4832 kbps            Ip profile 4000 kbps 

adsl2+ (21cn)  5152 kbps   Ip profile 4500 kbps

adsl2+ (LLU) 5152 kbps     Throughput  4560 kbps

Ip profile 4000 kbps

So is this good or bad, 1 MB and i have Always been told my exchange is 7 miles away.

JacobB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

I would stress that is site gives an indication of possible speed but it assumes your line to be in very good condition with little/no noise problems. It could be as previously said the other ISPs have run this test whereas BT have some further knowledge the others don't have.  Can you post stats from your Hub and test from BT speedtester and someone may be able to offer some assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JacobB
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
<script type="text/javascript">// var showButton = new Button("show","","Hide Details", function(){GoAndRemember('bb_dsl.lp','');}); // </script>

Line stateConnected
Connection time20 days, 0:19:16
Downstream1,440 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.9 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)50.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)16.6 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)91 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)15 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)11

Speed tester results: Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Download Speed 932 Kbps 0 Kbps 1000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 932 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps. Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :1440 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

BT are seriously annoying me.! However, Thanks to forum members for replying to my post. I would like someone to tell me some more if possible.

JacobB
JacobB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Do you have the NTE5 master socket ( bottom half unscrews)?  Have you tried connecting your hub (and phone) via filter to the test socket visible when you take front plate off?  The optimum noise margin on the hub is 6db so  yours is a bit high at 14.9.  Do you get resets ofthe hub? 

RogerB is good with stats so he may be able to give more assistance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JacobB
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

I don't have a NTES Master socket, I used to have the Hub connected to the Main socket but moved it because of enthernet problems and the wireless has bad signal.

And yes i do reset the hub every know and again., It should be done every 10 days, But i have been too busy sorting out Business i havn't had a chance to do it, Yet.!

JacobB
0 Ratings