cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Why do other providers give me 4MB speed on my line.?

Without the NTE5 you cannot distinguish if the higher noise of 14.9 is due to your internal extensions or is on the line outside your property.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 21

@JacobB wrote:

I don't have a NTES Master socket, I used to have the Hub connected to the Main socket but moved it because of enthernet problems and the wireless has bad signal.

Get those stats using the main socket if at all possible. AFAIK not using the master leaves you wide open to possible charges if an engineer has to call and you'll never get optimal connection rates.

No speed estimator can take into account poor domestic wiring setup, with your attenuation as reported 50dB then 4000 - 5000 kbps is possible but maybe not the way you're setup.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
JacobB
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Smiley SurprisedWell. The wiring in my house. Is bad. However, The main phone line is just the same.!  Everything would need to be ripped out and replaced. But still doesn't raise the fast that BT have made the estimate of 1MB and that other ISP's are offering 4MB i don't understand.

The wiring isn't so bad that i can't use it, The wiring in my house hasn't been replaced for 40-50 years.

BT have brought this up before but they won't go near it. As it will cost too much and they don't know ehere to begin.

But i am going to make this clear the Phone socket i am using know, Is a lot better then the master. I can't use the master. The home hub drops connection Bad speed. So i moved it based on practical reasons and common sense, So it would be worse plugging into the main socket.

JacobB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

As Bt are your current ISP they have inside knowledge about your connection from your speedtester results whereas the other ISPs do not. As A_Rad said they use an estimate based on phone number similar to the Kitz site but don't know anything about internal noise problems.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 21

I thought Kitz got their information from BT...

Every time my internet speed has dropped, the BT estimator has dropped with it and Kitz has dropped at the same time, it even says that the info is from BTw database Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JacobB
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

OK. Hooked home hub up too main socket. Lets see what's going on.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:02:04
Downstream1,568 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.8 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)50.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)16.5 dBm / 11.9 dBm
<script type="text/javascript">// var showButton = new Button("show","","More Details", function(){GoAndRemember('bb_dsl.lp','dt=1');}); // </script>
  More Details  
JacobB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

It's showing a slightly higher down sync but you still have the problem with the internal extensions and any noise caused by them because the extensions are still connected behind the faceplate. That's where the NTE5 helps - removing the bottom half disconnects all internal extensions so connected direct to incoming line

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 21

Looks like internal wiring pretty good after all, no great improvement. Looking at your other stats though, for 20 days uptime you'd very few errors of any sort and you would expect at least interleaving to be off or noise margin to decrease so something else must be up.

I suppose to completely rule out any issues on your side a different router is in order but certainly nothing looks out of place other than poor connection rate.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
JacobB
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Router wise, Changed it to my previous Belkin router. Goodbye homehub.

JacobB
0 Ratings
JacobB
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Anyway. Guys Thank you for your time. Smiley Happy

I guess i will just have to live with it know.....     Smiley Sad

JacobB
0 Ratings