Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: Why has BT Home Hub 5 Started Blocking Inbound UDP Packages

Hi Keith,

Yes, I tried a factory reset this morning, assuming by factory reset you mean choosing the Reset option on the System HH5 menu (I think this is where it was).  This was my last resort, but didn't make any difference.

According to the BT support person I was speaking to, this should have restored the firmware to factory settings, but after resetting, the last firmware update date was still showing as 27/7/15, so I don't believe this was the case.  I mention firmware as the BT tech experts guy seemed to think a firmware upgrade may have caused the issue, but unless the firmware was updated without logging a new date then this can't have happened!

Regards.

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

The factory reset is as follows.

How to reset a BT Home Hub 4 or Hub 5

1. Find the recessed "Reset" pinhole button on the back of your Hub
  2. Using a paper clip or similar press the button and hold for 20 seconds. Your Hub lights will go out and your Hub will restart
  3. Wait a few minutes for the Hub lights to settle. The central Power light will go blue and the Broadband light will be off

Note: Afer doing a factory reset, you'll be guided through the Smart Setup on all your devices (like when you first set up your Hub). Find out more about Smart Setup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 22

@milleniumaire wrote:

Hi Keith,

Yes, I tried a factory reset this morning, assuming by factory reset you mean choosing the Reset option on the System HH5 menu (I think this is where it was).  This was my last resort, but didn't make any difference.

According to the BT support person I was speaking to, this should have restored the firmware to factory settings, but after resetting, the last firmware update date was still showing as 27/7/15, so I don't believe this was the case.  I mention firmware as the BT tech experts guy seemed to think a firmware upgrade may have caused the issue, but unless the firmware was updated without logging a new date then this can't have happened!

Regards.

Paul

I suspect it is a firmware update causing the problem judging by the complaints, it usually is. Don't know why BT have to keep tinkering, its the main reason I have always used third party routers. I decide when updates are carried out and can roll back if necessary.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Borrowed a HH5 from a friend and this gives EXACTLY the same problem as my HH5, which I think rules out the HH5 being the problem.  They both have different versions of the firmware, one of which is a year old!

Also took my work laptop to two friends, both of whom are on BT Infinity and both have HH5's.  VPN worked perfectly at both houses.

It seems to me that the problem is on the BT side of the network and is specific to my account.  I've read that some "settings" in MYBT can have an impact, but the only ones I'm aware of are the Parental Controls, which have never been activated!

Despite trying to get BT Tech Experts to call me back so I can provide this additional information, I've not received a call and have basically been told to "wait until they call me", which is likely to be tomorrow now.  A complete waste of £30 that was!  The BT Tech Experts don't seem to be any better than "normal" BT support, who clearly have very limited technical expertise based on my communications earlier today.

Needless to say I'm getting VERY frustrated by this whole issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 22

After wasting yet another evening researching and trying to get VPN to work on my home network, I created a copy of my VPN client connection details and changed the Transport Transparent Tunneling setting from IPsec over UDP (NAT/PAT) to IPsec over TCP (using the default port 80).

To my surprise it worked - the VPN client successfully connected to my office server.

Checking the BT HH5 Event Log there are no blocked incoming packages for my office IP address for TCP.  However, they are still being blocked for UDP.

So, this appears to confirm that the issue is due to BT blocking specific incoming UDP packages.  I say "BT" as I believe this is happening at the BT end of the network and is NOT my HH5 (or my friends HH5) blocking the packages (or any other part of my home network).

I now have to wait unil the BT "Tech Experts" call me back so I can update them wth this info and ask them to find out, once and for all, why the BT network has suddenly started blocking my data.

Of course, my concern is that BT starts blocking the TCP packages as well, for some unknown reason!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Try actually activating parental controls, then uninstall them. There have been issues with parental controls being implemented at the basic level by default. The only way to be sure is to uninstall them.

The two other things that cause issues with VPN, are BT Web Address Help, and IP sharing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Hi Keith,

I tried activating parental controls and then de-activating/removing them last night.  It made no difference.

I've also checked the BT Web Address Help and IP sharing and this are NOT switched on.

Any other ideas as I'm all out of them now!

Regards.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

Other than trying a different VDSL modem/router, I have run out of ideas. I will see if the mods can help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 19 of 22

Hi Milleniumaire,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems using your VPN. I’ll be able to get the hub team to investigate.

In order to help with the investigation, please could you send me in the following details?

The model of your BT Home Hub and version (type A or B)

Hub Serial Number-

Employer-

VPN Client-

Telephone number-

You can send me in those details using the “Contact The Mods” link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Thanks Paddy, I have sent a message with enquiry reference number 150814-*****.

0 Ratings