cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zapper
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Why has my broadband speed dropped to 1/10th of what it was?

My broadband speed was averaging around 19/20Mbps a few months ago. Recently I've noticed that videos and pages have been taking longer and longer to load and so I recorded speed tests everyday over the past week and the new average seems to be around 1.9Mbps. On top of that, my Internet connection is far less reliable than it once was. It seems to disconnect much more often than it did back when it was much faster. Nothing has changed, I'm using the same router, the same computer, no new devices which might cause inteferrence etc. 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Why has my broadband speed dropped to 1/10th of what it was?

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
zapper
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Hi,

I only have one phone socket in the house which the router is connected to via a BT ADSL filter. 

When I first got BT Broadband a few years ago the speed was around 5Mbps, then it went up to 8 then as I said a few months ago it actually averaged around 20. Now it is down to less than 2. Nothing has been altered in that time. 

The quiet line was totally quiet. Here are some stats from my BT router:

internet.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

can you go to show details and post rest of errors please

your conenction time is only 9 min is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?

you currently are in a banded profile due to either many manual resets or router dropping connection or a combination of both.  your connection should recover automatically given a stable connection 24/7 for 3/5 days

however if you can post stats showing 3+ days connection time then mods will help get you out of banding  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
zapper
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Hi,

Yes, I have been having to restart the router over and over for the past few weeks. The lights on the router would show a connection but the internet would grind to a halt on the PC. I would then be told that I was no longer connected to the Internet despite the router being connected. 

I will leave the router on for the next few days and not switch it off to see what happens.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

if router was connected to internet with blue light was it your wireless devices that were having a problem connectin gto the hub?  which hub do you have?

0 Ratings
zapper
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

I left my router on from the time I made this thread until now (just over 3 days) and it stayed connected the whole time but nothing has changed speed wise. I'm still limited. And in fact my router just disconnected itself so the connection time is back to 0:00...

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

can you please now repost your hub stats
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

@imjolly Judging on the user's upload speed and their statement about getting 19/20Mbps download, they may be on ADSL2+: unless I'm wrong, I thought there wasn't any bandings at all, with no need to wait 3-5 days for connection to correct itself, on ADSL2+?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

it is a banded profile which is different to an IP Profile i suggest you read the link imjolly posted as it explains about banding in more detail
0 Ratings