cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Why has my speed dropped on Infinity 2?? Should I just cancel my account?

I've been on Infinity 2 since May last year. Initiially the speeds I was getting seemed great - I didn't do any speed tests because everything was working fine. I rely on upload speeds for my business which is why I switched to BT. However in the last month the speeds seemed to be getting worse and worse and now I regularly get speeds of between 5 and 7 mbs download and 0.6 to 0.7 uploads. I logged a message to BT but just got a call and was told to try plugging my Macbook directly into the Openreach socket rather than via an extension (installed by the BT engineer). This made no difference at all. I'm getting really frustrated and am unable to do much of the work I need to do but can't find the time to try to wait in line on a telephone or live chat queue. I'm posting some data here in the hope that someone can help.

Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 07.03.47.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-24 at 00.18.47.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-23 at 23.09.25.png

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why has my speed dropped on Infinity 2?? Should I just cancel my account?

@paulwu wrote:

I rely on upload speeds for my business which is why I switched to BT.

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

BT do not permit you to use a residential account to run a business, as its against their T&Cs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi Keith

I didn't realise that I couldn't use some of the BT internet service for business use. Even occasional use???? Do I need to switch to a business account - what difference will that make????

Apologies for the ignorance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@paulwu wrote:

Hi Keith

I didn't realise that I couldn't use some of the BT internet service for business use. Even occasional use???? Do I need to switch to a business account - what difference will that make????

Apologies for the ignorance

You need to read the T&Cs for BT Residential Service. http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/

"

Residential Standard Terms

The services we provide

1. We provide you with your chosen services, including Telephony, Broadband, Broadband Anywhere, Broadband Talk, BT TV, BT Sport, Mobile, Broadband Talk, and any other consumer services and any equipment we provide.
  2. You have a separate agreement for each service that we provide to you, which is made up of these Residential Standard Terms, the relevant service terms ( telephony, broadband, Broadband Anywhere, broadband talk, pre-pay mobile broadband, BT TV, BT Sport, Supporters Club, mobile, value added services) the Tariff Guide and any applicable Special Offer Terms. If you take a package of two or more individual services under a single contract the Package Services Terms (previously the Multi Play Service Agreement) will also apply to the services contained in that package.
  3. The services and equipment we provide to you under these terms must not be used for business purposes."

People who occasionally work from home, are not normally classed as business users if they are employees.

If you are registered as a business, then it would be classed as business use.

If you have a fault, then you may wait a long time for it to be repaired, as BT Business customers get priority, and have enhanced compensation arrangements on certain SLAs.

If you would lose money by being without service for a week, then a residential account is not suitable.

You should be able to transfer to a BT Business service.

They have good SLAs.

http://business.bt.com/phone-services/bt-totalcare/

You may wish to take advice from BT, as they are fairly flexible, but will not entertain compensation requests for loss of business, on a residential line.

As to your original question, upload speed are not guaranteed, and I would expect overall speeds to drop, as more customers get connected to the cabinet. This is due to increased crosstalk between circuits.

0 Ratings