cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PsiDOC
Contributor
Message 11 of 44

Re: Why have BT put a backdoor in the 8.1.H.J firmware that allows them access to your home hub 2.0A

Somerled,

In fairness to BT this is the first time that I have seen such a thing in any home hub firmware, be it the V1, 1.5 or V2.

Yes there was a remote access / help feature in the V1 and 1.5 however it had to be initiated lan side and was only available for a short time. Most thomson routers have this as standard so in that respect BT were playing fair.

Now however they're not.

I have just rebuilt the 8.1.H.J operating system without the backdoor files and reflashed it to the Home Hub. Guess What? It works perfectly. I have a fully functioning router with no difference to when it was running with the BTAgent backdoor on it. This proves that there is no other function of the added BTAgent files than what I have stated in the 1st post.

Also. I know that the BT employed moderators on this forum are aware of this post and yet not a single reply in almost 24 hours. This I find to be astonishing. That in itself to me is almost an admission of guilt.

Erlidoch 'm namyn ewyllysi erioed arhosa 'm
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 44

Re: Why have BT put a backdoor in the 8.1.H.J firmware that allows them access to your home hub 2.0A

Thanks for all that hard work - Do keep careful records of EVERYTHING - including this thread. I am sure there will be consequences flowing from your discovery. This thread is certainly getting a fair bit of attention outside of the BTCare Community, and you have done important work.
Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 44

I am beginning to get a little worried by the way the new forum is shaping up.  Towards the end of last year, I had begun to get the feeling that many of the "difficulties" that had been encountered in respect of the Phorm Phiasco were now behind us, the Forum Mods were showing a friendlier and more helpful side and by and large the forum was becoming a very useful place.

We now have a new forum, but less than a week in, all that good-will seems to be leaking away at an increasing rate of knots.

Why is that?  Well,  2, or maybe 3, examples of privacy and security issues that have all come to a head simultaneously.  The reaction to these being raised seems to be at least a partial reversion to the "bad old days". I thought we had moved beyond all this - but sadly not.

My peers believe this is a problem, I think they may be right, I wish to hear the evidence and to discuss it - and if it appears to be compelling, I wish to ask for - no, demand, change.  I wish to know how many of my peers here on the forum agree, or disagree with whatever arguments are being raised - which seems to me to be the essence of what this forum purports to be.

Discuss.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

PsiDOC
Contributor
Message 14 of 44

General Disquiet.

I too would like to hear BT's side of the story. I have stated my case and I actively encourage BT and their representatives to the table so that this serious issue can be resolved one way or another.

It saddens me to see 24 hours in they have just Ostriched and buried their heads in the sand.

Not even a "We acknowledge your post but need to talk to technical before we reply" which just makes them look worse.

Erlidoch 'm namyn ewyllysi erioed arhosa 'm
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 44

I've been watching this since PsiDoc's first post.

I presume there would be a similar issue with the typeB?

I trust then when a BT response is given that both types of hubs would be discussed.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 44

"I do remember the discussion months ago about the hub software and the fact that although it was based on open source software it wasn't actually adhering to the GPL license terms." (DV)

I remember that discussion. I think it's important that BT abide by the law and respect appropriate licence agreements. How can they expect customers to play by any rules if they are still infringing the GPL licence terms?

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

Highlighted
StewartM
Contributor
Message 17 of 44

Is it too much to ask to have an ISP that you can trust and is open and honest?

If it was a case of trying to get more income through advertisement, then be open about it and let customers make an informed choice. Customers know there are no free lunches. I for one would rather pay more for my broadband rather than spending my time looking over my shoulder trying to second guess the next move!

Stewart
Message 18 of 44

Hi All,

Can someone please help me here and explain what the heck is going on.

I am reading that the BT Home Hub (which i have version 2 type b) contains remote access for BT?

Can someone provide a guide on how to remove this?

This is bad news.

CG

CG Over An Out
OldGold
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 44

Would it also be a good idea to put the same question to Thompson as they make the thing?

Ray.

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 44

ComputerGeek,

The thread refers to BT HH Type 2.0A, but it's not clear if the same issue applies to the 2.0B.  The original info from PsiDoc can be found here, together with a 'fix.'   For many, the simpler alternative, if this level of control doesn't suit you, would be to pick up a non-BT router.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559