cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Why have I changed from Quarterly to Monthly billing?

Last month I recieved my quarterly BT Phone/Broadband bill as normal. This month I've received a monthly bill. Why?

I have always received quarterly bills. For a few years I have received both online and paper bills. I paid up front for line rental saver last year and continued to receive quarterly paper and online bills as usual. I renewed my line rental saver a couple of months back and decided to go paper-free. Has this also triggered a monthly billing cycle?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why have I changed from Quarterly to Monthly billing?

If you would like to try Live Chat they should be able to help you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

Seems BT have done something similar to me  - Live Chat would be helpful if they actually operated during there advertised hours - they seem to shut up early on Saturdays - advertised until 8pm but not accessible this evening at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

@Zulu17  I gave up on Live chat as everytime I got on they started ringing me..

They seem reluctant to put things in writing in e/form ..

I've sent written letters to bt at Durham and had no replies...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

Well I used Live Chat successfully this morning.

I've since checked Bt terms and conditions for Line Saver. which does  currrently say

Must be taken with a BT calling plan and monthly paper-free billing by direct debit for all additional charges

I don't know whether the monthly  billing cycle is a recent requirement or not - certainly Bt had been continuing to bill me quarterly  until last month. The other change is effectively I'm now moved onto whole bill payment rather than a fixed payment each month.

The BT operative could only explain why my billing was occuring as it is now and not why it had changed now or rather not changed from the point when I recontracted and took up the Line Saver option.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I've just spent half an hour on Live Chat trying to find out why my quarterly billing had changed to monthly. The advisor seemed keen to help but just didn't have the information. That's after 15 minutes trying to speak to someone on one of the 0800 phone numbers - these have changed so that you can only talk to someone if you are buying something.

I've ALWAYS had quarterly phone billing - I like to print my own bill but I don't want to fill a filing cabinet with 12 x 5+ page bills a year. What is BT's motive? They have an unmatched reputation for penny-pinching so there must be something in it for them.

This is defintely my last contract with them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

It was changed to mandatory monthly billing when you renewed line rental because peoples line rental saver was expiring and then they were getting 3 months worth of line rental charges (about £45), were then paying another £129 for line rental saver and then having to wait 3 months for their £45 back in credit.  It caused complaints from people wanting BT to deduct the £45 or give them immediate credit etc.

So it was switched to monthly so the amount next year is only one months worth of line rental.  That should have been explained to you when you took it out, but the advisor couldnt have done anything to override it.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 15

@geo1986 wrote:

It was changed to mandatory monthly billing when you renewed line rental because peoples line rental saver was expiring and then they were getting 3 months worth of line rental charges (about £45), were then paying another £129 for line rental saver and then having to wait 3 months for their £45 back in credit.  It caused complaints from people wanting BT to deduct the £45 or give them immediate credit etc.

So it was switched to monthly so the amount next year is only one months worth of line rental.  That should have been explained to you when you took it out, but the advisor couldnt have done anything to override it.

However the system is flawed as I found out.

I was quarterly advanced billed for line rental in May - I took out line rental  saver in May. My next bill was issued  3 months  in August  later at which point the quarters line rental was credited back.  They then unannounced moved me onto a monthly bill cycle in September. If the logic is to apply the credit promptly then I should have been issued a bill in June.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Hi Zulu. Thats part of the problem.

BT cannot change a quartely billing run once it has started as it could be 1 week in, 3 weeks in, 5 weeks in etc. So the first quarter has to run fully and then after it switches to monthly.

Remember as well its not just line rental that has been paid 3 months in advance, it will be the broadband, any adds on, call features, rented phones etc. Stopping a quartely billing run halfway through would mean refunding those and then having to take payment out again, all very messy.

What happened to you is exactly the complaint customers were making, hence BT's change to stop it happening next year.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 15

Good explanation, geo1986. I have recently renewed my Line Rental Saver (end September) for the third time and it was evidently clear during the renewal process that I will be moved to monthly whole bill. I am currently on quarterly and wont see my first monthly bill until mid-November.

0 Ratings