cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Why have I used 2 gigabytes in 4 days?

Hi

I had 2 emails from BT 4 days apart. The first said I'd used over 6gb of my allowance, then 4 days later, another saying I'd used over 8 gb.

I don't understand whats happening as I haven't used internet much in those 4 days.

I haven't used anything any more or l;ess than usual and don't know how I can have used 1/2 gb in a day? It frightens me.

I did scan my laptop and there is nothing bad on it.

Help!

Sue

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why have I used 2 gigabytes in 4 days?

Sue- Have you some means of monitoring the amount you use a small programme like Networx  can be downloaded or there are many more but more complicated. Are you the only user/ If you go out is there someone else left in the house?Have you got a good password on it  that nobody else knows? How good is your protection programme ?-Down load Malwarebytes and run a scan using that . A virus can do what you say. This is just an initual start. Many more  options left. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

@SueRuther wrote:

Hi

I had 2 emails from BT 4 days apart. The first said I'd used over 6gb of my allowance, then 4 days later, another saying I'd used over 8 gb.

I don't understand whats happening as I haven't used internet much in those 4 days.

I haven't used anything any more or l;ess than usual and don't know how I can have used 1/2 gb in a day? It frightens me.

I did scan my laptop and there is nothing bad on it.

Help!

Sue

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked the online monitor ? It's at :-

https://www.bt.com/broadbandusagemonitor

Keep a note of the date/time indicated and the up/down figures for a few days - so that you can see the daily amount.

You can then compare this with the hub stats (if you need to know how to get these, pop back). Again keep a daily log of these - note that they will be hard to compare due to the differences in recording date/time. But if kept for a few days, it will become clear.

After a few days, pop back again with the details. Unfortunately virtually everyone posts only once about their high usage and don't return with the details.

As a couple of questions - is there anyone else using your networK ? Other devices such as tablets or mobiles ? Are you streaming any videos or sports ? Do you use p2p sofware ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for your replies.

There's nobody else using this laptop and nothing like phones etc as can't afford them.

Have been watching the estimated use thing on the connection and its run up 26.81MB while computer has been asleep.

I haven't watched any films etc apart from the odd news clip on bbc website. I do use twitter sometimes but not all day or anything.

Nobody else has the password either so don't think neighbours can log into my hub.

The BT usage monitor says I've used another 1/2 GB since yesterday when the last email came. It must have been using 1/2 GB every day coz Its 22nd today and 8.5 GB = 17 days. I have been away for 5 days this month.

No new software on laptop either and scanned all the time by full McAfee subscription.

This has never happened before - unless I have been watching i-player a bit much. Maybe 2 - 3 times in 3 years.

Thank you for helping

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Sorry forgot to say that the hub says my average monthly use is:

You have used 8.48 GB of your monthly 10 GB allowance and have 1.52 GB remaining. Your average monthly usage is 4.72 GB.

We think you may exceed your monthly 10 GB allowance for October based on what you have used so far.

Thanks

Sue

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@SueRuther wrote:

Sorry forgot to say that the hub says my average monthly use is:

You have used 8.48 GB of your monthly 10 GB allowance and have 1.52 GB remaining. Your average monthly usage is 4.72 GB.

We think you may exceed your monthly 10 GB allowance for October based on what you have used so far.

Thanks

Sue

Hi again.

That figure's not actually the hub figure, it's the online figure. It should give up and downloads as separate entries, can you say what they are ?

The hub figures are different and come from the home hub itself. The figures are not used to produce the online figure, but can be used as a comparison as I said.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I would suggest upgrading if you are on the basic package as 10gb isnt really much good. Ive had to pay an extra £40 in my first 2 months with BT. I was surprised too at how much I was using, though i do watch some football on the weekends and I use spotify which I think can use up a lot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Well you have ruled out most things-Nobody else in the house etc. You do say you use  McAfee protection. I wouldnt . I still think you should download Malwarebytes from their  website. It doesnt interfere  with most established protection systems and is able to get to places your built in one wouldnt. Give it a try. As what you are suffering from is typical of a virus even though you have already run a scan with your own protection programme. Unlike BT I dont have faith  in the one you are using. At least that would be one more thing you have tried and its free. Is it Wi-Fi you use to access the internet?

0 Ratings