cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Virtual-Knight64
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Why is BT blocking non-BT DNS servers?

Recently all of a sudden, I've been unable to use non-BT DNS servers. I've been getting that "You're getting this page because you're using a BT service which requires the use of a BT DNS server" message when I use alternative DNS servers

and when I type a non-BT DNs address into my gaming consoles, the connection tests fail. I don't have parental controls or BT Protect active but BT is still preventing me from using alternatives. I don't want to be restricted to BT's servers since using 3rd party DNS servers has increased my connection speed greatly and gave me a incredible when when playing online.

Can anyone help me override the block?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Why is BT blocking non-BT DNS servers?

DNS servers have no impact on actual connection speed.

Bothe BT Protect and Parental controls would have to be uninstalled not just disabled, to allow other DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 3 of 18

"Can anyone help me override the block?

Easy way it just to replace the hub with a 3rd party device that works with bt tv if you have the tv box thingy.  

Thats one of the plus points of being with BTRetail, you can use your own equipment:)

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

The blocking takes place at the BT network level, so changing router will make no difference.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 5 of 18

You Might be mixing your  cleanfeed with nominum there Keith 😉

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

BT Protect and BT Parential controls intercept all DNS (port 53) requests while either of them are active on your BT account.

BT Protect ensures that you only get genuine web addresses in response to DNS, and also has a database of known phishing sites, so that you are prevented from visiting them.

BT Parental controls are an additional layer which can be activated, to filter sites based on the account holders settings.

Neither of these have to do with Cleanfeed, who's filtering is applied prior to any BT Protect or parental control settings, and cannot be circumvented under normal usage.

For BT Protect, and BT Parental controls it is compulsory to use BTs DNS servers. BT will actively block any other port 53 requests to other DNS servers. This is to prevent users circumventing the filtering by changing the DNS servers on their devices.

I am fully aware of how these systems work, so I am not getting confused Smiley Wink

All of these are router and device independent.

Barry57
Expert
Message 7 of 18

How would using a 3rd party router with non-bt dns  and a port change (eg443) still make "no difference"  ?

Virtual-Knight64  didn't want BT Protect or BT Parential controls so -ditch the hub5 and replace with a router that fits your needs.

Even my old linksys has a dns  encryption feature 😉

0 Ratings
Virtual-Knight64
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Keith, changing the DNS servers regualarly DOES inprove speed due to the congestion of the DNS server being used.

I use a program called DNS Benchmark to check this. But right now there's no point as the only ones registered as connected are BT's ones. Also, I've deleted the parental controls on the BT account and the DNS is STILL being blocked.

I'm being blocked from certain websites, like nintendo.co.uk. Or if you're talking about a BT program that's installed on my computer, there was never one installed in the first place. I feel there's a deliberate intention behind BT blocking the servers. I don't care why, I just want them to stop! If Barry's right, and I have to get a new hub just to have a ADEQUATE connection again, then BT's quality of service is serverely deteriorating. When I rang BT they gave me a number to their tech experts only to find I have to pay a subscription just to even try to fix this. I've been looking across the forums to find many others have had the same problem. How can BT expect to keep their customers at this rate?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Sorry but did you follow these instructions to remove parental controls completely. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDYzODY3NzcyL3NpZC9XQzJ...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Virtual-Knight64
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Yes, I did all that. It didn't work.

0 Ratings