cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Why is data on BT Cloud Backup less than the total amount of data in 'properties' on PC's folders?

I am using BT Cloud to back up 'Documents' and 'Pictures' folders on my Win10 laptop. BT Cloud Backup says complete, all files backed up, and is using c6GB. However, the 'properties' for the folders on the laptop is showing c10GB total. Does BT Cloud compress data, or detects duplicates and only stores single copy? If the latter how do I identify the duplicates, and if not, how do I determine what data is not being backed up, bearing in mind there are thousands of files so I want to avoid a manual exercise.  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why is data on BT Cloud Backup less than the total amount of data in 'properties' on PC's folder

I have a similar issue.  The BTCloud app shows 134GB for the Pictures folder and 156GB for the Documents folder, so a total of about 290GB.  However it shows "All files backed up" despite using only 230GB.  That would appear to be 20% compression, which is quite a lot for what are mainly already compressed jpg and mpg files.

It seems more likely that some data is not being backed up, but how to find out which of the 96,399 are missing?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Re: Why is data on BT Cloud Backup less than the total amount of data in 'properties' on PC's folder

I went to MY BT and 'Manage BT Cloud' and selected 'open in browser' rather than the desktop application. This online view showed the correct amount of data for each of the folders, so it looks like a bug in the desktop app. Give it a go and check yours to seek confidence that all of your data is indeed backed up. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi Johnny63,

I did as you say but, unfortunately, although the web version shows slightly more data than the desktop app it is still about 60GB short of the full backup.

However, using the web application I can see that almost all of that shortfall is in the "Documents" folder.  The "Photos" folder shows 133.5GB backed up, while the Desktop App shows 133.7GB.  The difference here could just be rounding differences, but there is certainly a lot of "Documents" data missing.

Looking into the backed up "Documents" folder it is clear that several large folders are missing completely, whilst others have many missing files.

Meanwhile the Desktop App shows "All files backed up" while the web shows "You have nothing backed up" (despite some of the files being present under My Activity/All my files).

At the moment I have zero confidence of a reliable backup ever being achieved by BTCloud.

0 Ratings