cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liam90210
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Why is the BT new customer installation experience so bad compared to Sky?

I've just moved into a new house.  I called up BT before the previous owner had moved out to arrange broadband and phone.

-  Firstly I get confusing messages from India asking me to cancel my stop order on the line (despite this coming from the existing owner so nothing I can do about it).

-  I then get promised activation the same week.    

-  I then get two subsequent delays to this date.

-  I then get told there's a problem and they can't even process the fibre order until I'm up and running with the telephone line so to expect further delays.

In between I've had the most ridiculous messages left from a call centre in India that make no sense and are impossible to even understand, or messages just telling me the date I already know.  

On one occassion I had a voicemail -  I called back and got through to someone in the UK who told me there was no record of the message on my account and they put me back through to India.  In the meantime I realised that I had an old online chat window open on my PC and someone was now offering me an even better deal than the one I'd already signed up to 🙂

My previous experience with sky couldn't be more different.   The agent actively searched appointments on the phone and found me a cancellation so got me an engineer within a day (and that was on a saturday).  Meanwhile they have a DEDICATED UK call centre that helps get new customers up and running.

The BT experience is being passed between one online chat department to another, and getting ridiculous phone calls giving me updates when there is nothing to report.   It's such a bad first introduction to BT.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why is the BT new customer installation experience so bad compared to Sky?

Welcome to this user forum.

Your order could not be processed until the cease of the previous owner`s service, this can take up to 10 days.

A working BT Retail telephone line is needed before broadband can be provided, so what you have been told is correct.

Once you have a working phone number, you can use this link to see what services are available.

Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
liam90210
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Well BT's own online chat staff need some serious retraining.  Either that or they are deliberately misleading potential customers.  Here's one of my transcripts....   

NB:  I've blanked her name as I don't believe the issue is just related to this one individual - I've had a similar incorrect message from other BT staff.

***Edited by Mod***

0 Ratings
liam90210
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

So - after being told again yesterday by the order management team that my phone and broadband would be connected no problem - no suprise to find I have a phone line but no broadband.

I called up only to get India again who seemed suprised that my phone line was working.

And now my order tracker shows that BT have cancelled my phone and broadband order and I'm no clearer as to when I will get my fibre broadband.   Even worse now I imagine I'll lose my quidco cashback as BT will claim that the order was cancelled despite them cancelling it and replacing it with a new one.

I really can't belivee how bad this experience is for new customers.  The contrast with Sky is unbelievable where I had a lady from Scotland ring to arrange everything, got me a next day appotinment, and then called me back the following day to confirm it was working.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

What did the broadband availability website show for your new phone number?

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 6 of 8

Hi @liam90210,

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry to hear that things have gone so badly wrong with your order. I would like take a look at what is happening with your order. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
liam90210
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks @PaddyB - have just sent an email using the link

Cheers
Liam

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 8

Hi @liam90210,

Thank you for posting back. I've had a look at our email queue and I can confirm that we have your details.

There are a few cases ahead of you in the queue and we'll reply as soon as we can.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings