cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 22

Why no ITV1 catch up in Northern Ireland?

I know UTV have their own UTV player, but as it isn't on YouView why can't NI viewers access the ITV player through the BT Vision portal? If NI Vision subscribers can access it with the Vision box, it seems a bit odd, not to mention misleading to claim a backwards epg when none of the ITV1 programmes can be viewed in NI?
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
dbards
Beginner
Message 2 of 22

Re: Why no ITV1 catch up in Northern Ireland?

I have contacted UTV re this and they say they are working towards having UTV player on You View - but didn't say when. Too busy catching up with new phones and tablets! But it is a dead breaker as far as I am concerned and will stay with Vision. Good to hear someone else has same problem
0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 22

Funny thing is, we've had the box over two weeks and hadn't noticed it missing, it was my in laws who brought it to our attention. Does make a mockery of the backwards EPG though.
0 Ratings
jigglerjohn
Beginner
Message 4 of 22

I'll be asking for a refund tomorrow. What a cheek not saying when I ordered (via the Belfast call centre)

0 Ratings
jigglerjohn
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Youview's much vaunted backwards EPG doesn't work on Channel 3 (UTV here) in Northern Ireland. Neither does ITV player for ITV1 - the UTV Player has not been ported over into Youview.

This all seems to be down to UTV not getting off its backside and enabling the software for Youview. I've persisted in writing to UTV but am getting the brush-off when I ask about timescales for rectification.

I've now lodged a formal complaint with the ASA against Youview for misleading advertising with its current "wall projection" campaign which shows a user using the backwards EPG on ITV (ironically this is running on UTV!)

I'll probably also be doing this for BT as I bought the Youview box from them and signed up for a year's service. No mention of my favourite channel not being available for catch-up in any of their advertising.

Seems that we're the only region in the UK with this problem.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

The TV advert does say "Subject to coverage".
0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 22

That applies to the DTT coverage. The programmes are all shown in Northern Ireland. There is no mention of geolocking the ITV player in the on screen commercial.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

It also says T & Cs apply. They have it all covered, as a company like this should. They will not be responsible for any content or lack of content.

http://www.youview.com/terms-conditions/product/

0 Ratings
petelad
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Yes if only itv / youview disabled the geolocking on the itv player, so at least we could go into the itv player on demand and watch content that way.  So what if UTV lose their ad revenue for catch up programs then, since UTV don't support youview catch up then why not let us use ITV player properly in the interim until UTV sort their YV support out.

Note: from my experience ITV player works in NI, but vast majority of content is missing even with a faux london postcode entered e.g. x factor, downton abbey - presumably due to some sort of DTT region geolocking built into the software.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 22

@petelad wrote:

Yes if only itv / youview disabled the geolocking on the itv player, so at least we could go into the itv player on demand and watch content that way.  So what if UTV lose their ad revenue for catch up programs then, since UTV don't support youview catch up then why not let us use ITV player properly in the interim until UTV sort their YV support out.

Unfortunately, legally, things are just not that simple.

0 Ratings