Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iansally
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Why wont my new version of BT BB Help download

Hi All,

I'm new to this game and thought I would chance this avenue for advise as trying the BT Helpdesk does not work.

My problem is that I keep getting a message saying that a "Critical Update" for BB Help is available, but when I go through the motions as dictated by on-screen instructions an error message keeps on appearing saying " There were problems with the download - try again at a different time".  This has happened at least six times over the past week.

I have a first generation BT Hub 1.0 which is still working normally, it's just this blessed download message that appears each time I switch on.

Am I doing something wrong?

Your help and advise would be most welcome.

Thanls

Iansally

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Why wont my new version of BT BB Help download

Welcome to the forum.

No, you are not doing anything wrong.

BB help isnt 100% reliable.  The general advice on here is to get rid of it from your PC; if you have any issues or Q's, you'll probably get more joy on this forum.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
donhowe
Message 3 of 16

I've had the same problem, and I'm not too impressed by the fact that there seems to be no way of directly contacting BT to ask them what's going on.  Hence me resorting to this "forum," and a  fat lot of good that's been - the only advice offered is to get rid of Desktop Help!  But I've found it useful for sorting out far too frequent broadband connection failures, so I'm reluctant to get rid of it.  Surely there's some way of getting in touch with them? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

@donhowe wrote:

I've had the same problem, and I'm not too impressed by the fact that there seems to be no way of directly contacting BT to ask them what's going on.  Hence me resorting to this "forum," and a  fat lot of good that's been - the only advice offered is to get rid of Desktop Help!  But I've found it useful for sorting out far too frequent broadband connection failures, so I'm reluctant to get rid of it.  Surely there's some way of getting in touch with them? 

Ring up India and ask them.

This is your first post and your post says "Hence me resorting to this Forum and a fat lot of good thats been.

If you try an explain what your problem specifically is, instead of "Ive had the same problem" maybe some of the more learned members can assist you, but come on you have to give them a chance.

A lot of forum members do not use any of the software on the supplied CD, because it tends to create more problems than it is worth. Thats why lots of people say dump it.

Go to any ISP`s forums, and most of the members with a bit of knowledge refuse to use any connection software. All they need is the routers ip address and username/password.

I wil come back to the first point:

Please if you have a problem , explain it to the forum.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Message 5 of 16

@donhowe wrote:

As toekneem says, you can ask India by ringing,

or send an email query form.

AQ.

0 Ratings
EGTE
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

I had problems with the update not loading properly. I removed the program from my computer and then downloaded a fresh copy from bt.com. Worked fine.
I've seen lots of comments on this forum that BT Desktop Help is no good and "known to cause problems". In my experience that was true some time ago but not now. Works fine on my old XP desktop and new Win7 laptop.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Hi EGTE, Thanks for that, I'll give it a go, download and try and use it.

Things do change, so I may be out of date.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Well that was a waste of time Smiley Mad

It smashed up the registry, stopped my wi fi connection, froze the browser (Chrome), couldnt shut down the PC without un-plugging it.

It was useless, and I'm sorry to say is useless.

I'm glad it works for you and others, but IMO, good riddance to bad rubbish.

AQ.

Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

AQ, it may have gone a bit funny because of all this (refer to my first post and then the post I marked as the solved solution) - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-Desktop-Help-automatic-data-collecti...

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

No DS, tis nowt but trouble IMO.
AQ.

0 Ratings