cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Why would it take 2 days to order extra channels?

I ordered the extra channels online yesterday (28/01) and it gave me an activation date of 30/01. Now I know I am an impatient sod but one of the things I liked about sky is that when you rang up to add channels, they added to your box while still on the phone.

What takes 2 days? Don't they just press a button their end? No physical line work takes place, does it?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why would it take 2 days to order extra channels?

Maybe it won't take as long as they say. Just put box on for first time since ordering and the channels are there but they just take me to a screen telling me to subscribe when I click on them.

Really lookng forward to them now.

Guru
Message 3 of 15

David, not sure why it says two days. Normally they can be activated within the hour.
0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

@StewM wrote:
David, not sure why it says two days. Normally they can be activated within the hour.

I have an activation date in my bt order tracking that says 30/01.

I think I know why it has happened though. I ticked the option that said "send me a free 10m ethernet cable." I don't really need to cable for this but I wasn't going to turn down a freebie. The delivery date for that is 30/01. I wonder if they won't activate until then because of the cable order.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

Looking at item 1 in this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Essential-Extras-18-extra-channels-Homeplug-absolutely-requi...

it seems I am right about the cable.

How utterly stupid to delay it for that. Wish i'd ticked the other option.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

Idea is if you NEED the cable you can't get the channels anyway until you have the cable. If people want a freebie there is always a pay off against it.

You can't blame BT when you said you needed and extra cable to get the channels and BT say we will send you the cable FREE of charge but obviously if you NEED the cable to recieve the channels there is no point activating them till you get it.

I understand it is annoying but it is a bit unfair to blame BT for that...

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

@scointer wrote:

Idea is if you NEED the cable you can't get the channels anyway until you have the cable. If people want a freebie there is always a pay off against it.

You can't blame BT when you said you needed and extra cable to get the channels and BT say we will send you the cable FREE of charge but obviously if you NEED the cable to recieve the channels there is no point activating them till you get it.

I understand it is annoying but it is a bit unfair to blame BT for that...

That isn't true though.

For all BT know, I may hsve had my Youview box right near my router on a short ethernet cable, and be ordering the big cable so I can ultimately move the box somewhere else.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

In which case why should BT pay for you to move something that is already working...

You should only order the cable if you need it to get something working from the start not because you would prefer to move it after it is working. There are no restrictions on ordering the cable but I find it a bit rich that people then complain about a 2 day delay why BT waits for the cable to get to you.

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

@scointer wrote:

In which case why should BT pay for you to move something that is already working...

You should only order the cable if you need it to get something working from the start not because you would prefer to move it after it is working. There are no restrictions on ordering the cable but I find it a bit rich that people then complain about a 2 day delay why BT waits for the cable to get to you.

I haven't asked BT to pay for anything. Their policy is to send a cable if you are on homeplugs and I am on homeplugs, even though I think they will have enough bandwidth to work.

For once on this forum, can't people have a conversation without the BT defence force turning up to make it an argument?

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

Apologies. I didn't mean to have a go I am just saying the reason is because you have asked for a cable and BT have put a delay while the cable arrives. Normally they are activated in about an hour so your title is quite mis-leading to some people who just read the title.

Maybe there should be better wording saying (ordering the cable will mean a delay to the activation) and then people could make a choice if they really want the cable.

P.S. I asked for the ten metre cable when I ordered it even though it is still in the packet. 🙂

0 Ratings