Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonKB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Why would speed have dropped?

Go to solution
Until about three months ago I was regularly getting a download speed of 13mb. Now I am getting about 9mb which represents quite a reduction. Nothing has changed internally and my set up is the same as it ever was. Here are the current stats. from my router. Is there anything obviously wrong here as this information means very little to me? Thank you.

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 09:42:16
Downstream: 10.74 Mbps
Upstream: 1.121 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 14.5 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 21.0 dB / 11.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.4 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 1380 / 98
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 6665 / 86
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 615 / 57

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why would speed have dropped?

Go to solution

Hi

Welcome to the community forums

Your speed has dropped  because of disconnections / noise on your line increasing your noise margin

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

your connection speed is lower than normal due to the high noise margin as normal about 6db.  your connection time is short is that due to you resetting the router to try and improve your speed or the router dropping connection or both?

are you connected to master or preferably the test socket?  do you have other sockets in other rooms?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SimonKB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Thank you. My router is plugged directly into the main socket (I do not have a test socket). I have one other socket in the house but it is not in use. I had just restarted my router which is why the connection time is short. I have a very reliable connection generally and never have problems connecting for long periods of time. Just odd that over the last three months I have seen a reduction in speed of about 1/3. Quiet line test is absolutely silent.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

check to see if bellwire connected to terminal 3 and if so remove it from both sockets - only connections required are on 2 & 5

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
restarts are the worse thing you can do as this can increase noise margin and reduce the connection speed
0 Ratings
SimonKB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Looks like bell wire already disconnected.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

then just stay connected and repost stats when connection time is 3+ days and see what errors are like.  if still ok and connection stable then can get mods to reset your noise margin back to 6db

0 Ratings
SimonKB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Will do. Thanks very much.
0 Ratings
SimonKB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12