Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rainman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Wi-Fi Hotspot on Home Hub 4

Go to solution

In mid December 2013 I decided to replace my HH2 with A HH4r A. It duly arrived on 17/12/14, before setting up I opted out of BT wi-fi, waited until for the hotspot to be removed from my HH2 before setting up the HH4. I then opted back into BT wi-fi and waited and waited and waited for my hotspot to be re-activated, but nothin happened. I contacted 0800 0223322 and was told it could take 28 days to reconnect. Waited six weeks, still nothing. Have now contacted them many times but still not working. Today was the last straw when the guy on other end of the phone told me that hotspots were nothing to do with the home hub and said I should turn the hub off and try again because the hub being switched on might be the cause of the problem! Can any body out there tell me where I can contact someone who knows what they are talking about. I have just switched back to my HH2 and bingo my hotspots are back. Can use other hotspot OK.

BT Home Hub 4r (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.13.1.19 | Last updated Unknown.

As an aside to this when I try and do a speed test on the HH4 my phone number is not recognized and it can't carry out the exchange to hub test but can complete the hub to PC test OK. again this works OK on the HH2

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspot on Home Hub 4

Go to solution

I don't understand why you opted out of BTWifi only to opt back in but in any event you can check your status here

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/status

which should show that you are opted in as you have said you can use BTWifi when out and about.

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

mike8
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

You may find its a firmware issue that BT is not going to fix. I opted out and looking at the TR069 remote logs, its seems that the 2.5GHz wifi was switched off but not the 5GHz one. Yet they were both enabled initially. However sniffing the hub with inSSider (android application on phone) shows it is not in fact radiating open wi-fi/fon since I opted out - yet the hh4 still shows active. I was also told 28 days - basically I think all their scripts are incorrect and the fault is firmware. M

Rainman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

If you change the hub for a new one you have to opt out of bt wi-fi and back in again to force the new hub to update to become the new hot spot

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Where did you get that information?

The BT link suggests it may speed the process up but is not required.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11387/~/when-will-my-new-hub-be-enabled-as-a-bt-wi-fi...

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

gg's right. Last summer I did the same upgrade, HH2 to HH4. Never touched BT Wi-Fi and it continued to work seamlessly.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Rainman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I may well have miss read this help page, but either way it shoud now be working. Have now put HH2 back on line and and everything, including the speed test works fine.

Not bothered about the hot spot myself. I connect my tablet and mobile via my secure wifi when i'm at home and can

still use BT wifi when i,m out and about. It's friends and family who come around. I'm not willing to give them access to my secure wifi. I am going to give BT one more chance to come up with an answer. If they can't It will be a refund under the sale of goods act 6 month rule

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Did you try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds?

Rainman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Tried that but nothing changed. If you want to have a good laugh, I spent 40 years man and boy working for the GPO and BT, but they seem to have closed the string pulling department! I could always try what my brother just did after 4 mounths of broadband speed problems, and being told by the Indian call centre that there was nothing wrong it must be his equipment. He sent a letter to the CEO of BT. Next day he had a phone call from none other than the CEO taking ownership of the issue. 2 hours later he had a call from an exchange engineer saying they had change out a faulty card in the exchange.

0 Ratings
Rainman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

BT wifi hotspot problem solved. It seems that ther are 2 versions of the BT Home Hub 4, there the HH4A (r) and the HH4A. The Home Hub 4A (r) is the retail version and does not support BT wifi hot spots where as the Home Hub 4A is the BT broadband customer version and and it supports BT WIFi hot spots. It's a great shame that the verious BT help desks did not seaem to to know this little fact.

0 Ratings