Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Wi-Fi dropping out every minute - disgraceful customer service

Go to solution

I'm on Infinity 2 with an Openreach modem and a Home Hub 3 running software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A) and BT Vision.  Everything has been working perfectly since the Infinity was installed around a year ago (and for several years previously) but a couple of weeks ago the Wi-Fi connection on the HH3 started dropping out fairly regularly on the laptop and both Android phones.  I noticed that the Wi-Fi light on the hub was also going out for a second or two every few minutes.  The connection is rock solid when the laptop is wired direct to the hub although the upload speed seems quite a bit slower than it used to be when first installed.  However, a wired connection is not an option for anything other than short term as it means having the laptop in the hallway.  Nothing has changed around the house recently and there is no interference from the two neighbours connections I can see.  They are both using Home Hub 4's on channels 1 and 11 and I am on channel 6.

I ran some speed tests using the BT Wholesale checker:

Test on wired connection: Download 60 Mbps, Upload 3.4 Mbps

Test on Wi-Fi connection: Download variable from 0 - 33 Mbps, Upload variable from 0 - 3 Mbps

I've been on the phone to India twice but am getting nowhere - each time they asked me me to go through the same process: switch the modem and hup off then on again and then do a factory reset of the hub by inserting a pin into the back of the unit.  Then they said they will call me back after 5 days to see if everything is OK.

The first reset initially seemed to cure the problem but it reappeared a few days later. The second reset (two days ago) helped for less than 12 hours and now the problem seems worse than ever with the Wi-Fi cutting out very regularly every 55 seconds. It seems pretty obvious to me that the HH3 is faulty and needs replaced.

I was on the phone for a third time tonight and got the same old routine despite patiently explaining that I have been through the procedure twice before.  I was even told that my hub was working perfectly!  Finally, in frustration at the fact that he was not listening to a word that I or my wife said to him, we asked to speak to his supervisor and were told that she was busy but he would speak to her and phone us back later.  We said that this was unacceptable and insisted on speaking to a supervisor so he then put us on hold for 30 minutes and then cut us off.

How do I get someone to listen to us?  We are out of contract on July 29th and some other providers seem very tempting at this time.  Would miss BT Sport but not the terrible customer service.

Regards,

Ian

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wi-Fi dropping out every minute - disgraceful customer service

Go to solution

I have seen other posts on the forum that describe similar problems to yours with the HH 3 and the conclusion seems to be that there is most likely a fault with your HH 3. Even if there is not, as you are almost out of contract it would be worth bargaining with BT to get a new HH 5 (always assuming you wish to renew your BT contract for a further 18 months). The only phone number that I can quickly find is 0800 100 400 - give it a try, you have nothing to lose. I'm sure that others on this forum might well have more relevant phone numbers - and even advice!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Like most equipment, that supplied by BT doesn't come with a lifetime guarantee, but it's worth speaking to the Options Team on 0800 800 030. Tell them that you're not happy with the service you've had and are considering moving unless they include a new hub if you recontract. And that you might have had a replacement hub when you had Infinity installed (I got one about a year ago without even asking).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies. It seems pretty obvious to me that I have a faulty HH3 but I don't seem to be able to get the Technical Team to agree. The HH3 was supplied with the Infinity to replace my old HH2 so is less than 18 months old. Will try the Options Team when I get home from work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Just off the phone to the Options Team in Newcastle.  As soon as I mentioned Wi-Fi dropping out he said "that'll be your Home Hub 3 then.  We'll send you a new Home Hub 5 to fix it".  Had to recontract for 12 months but the price has come down a bit too.  Phone answered in less than a minute and everything fixed in less than 10.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Ian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Im having drop outs every minute with wifi, I've spoken with BT twice now. The first time they did some tests and then told me to give it 48 hrs to settle down on new settings. Five days on and was the same so i rang BT for the second time. Like every time you ring they go through the same script do this, try that.  Telling me it was interference from my house phone, i told them it wasnt as nothing has changed in the house when it had been working fine for several years and that i'd unplugged everything in the same room as the hub to rule out any interference that could be causing it. The problem with BT is that they do not listen, they read whats in front of them, and then fail ending up telling you we will get an engineer to ring you. 

I have the home hub 3 which I have had since fibre-optic came out, maybe its the hub. Bt have told me that the engineer will ring back in a weeks time. If this doesnt get resolved in a week then I will change providers. BT are not providing me with the service they have promised me, this means that my contract can be broken if i feel that i want to change providers, and will do if they don't soon sort it out. At the end of the day im paying out alot of money for a broken product, and now told i have to wait a full week for an engineer and still having to pay for this. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

When you searched the forum for the problem did you not see this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/HH3-Infinity-Local-WiFi-Channel-fade/td-p/144629...

0 Ratings