cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morph808
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Wi-Fi in outbuilding.

I am a newbie so bear with me. Question about Wi-Fi, I am using a BT Infinity Home Hub 5. I am on single phase supply via Mains RCD, then I have 2 ring mains each requiring wifi, plus a separate supply to my shed. will a BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 work and if so will it help. Sorry if this is a common question.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wi-Fi in outbuilding.

I have a pair of Home Hotspots connected to different rings, and they work fine for me.  It should work for you, but the speed may be lower than the broadband you get.  It's impossible to predict what you will get because it all depends on your home wiring.  The signal received over the wiring to the outbuilding may be considerably weaker, giving a lower speed.  But again, there's no way to tell without trying it.

Do you really need three new WiFi hotspots in addition to the Home Hub?  It is possible to get extra Hotspots so you can connect several together if you need to.

0 Ratings
morph808
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wi-Fi in outbuilding.

Thanks for your help, I never mentioned that I have ethernet cables to the 2 ring mains at present. and the shed is 100 yards away not realy a clear run from the router being the otherside of the house.

0 Ratings