cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gukacell
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Wi-fi Problem on BT Infinity

I have been having a lot of wifi related problems with my BT Infinity. I have just reached the end of my first 10 days which I have to allow for internet speeds to settle.

I have two computers, both with N300 USB wifi adapters. Since I have had the BT Infinity HH3 I have had internet speeds that vary from 0.5mbps to 32mbps. Generally though I get an average of 6mbps and for the last couple of days 0.5mbps has been the norm. If I plug straight into the router with ethernet my broadband is consistant at 32mbps so it is definitely the wifi. I have to constantly change the wirless channel between 1, 6 and 11 to bring my wifi to life again but it never lasts long and don't even mention the auto channel seletor, it doesn't work and just keeps me on channel 6 which has proven to be the worst channel so far. I have set the wifi frequency on the router up to 40mhz (N) but the problem doesn't change.

Does this sound like a faulty hub?

Thanks in advance

Kelly

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wi-fi Problem on BT Infinity

First suggestion I would have is running inSSIDer and seeing what local Wi-Fi networks are using what channel and selecting the one that has the lowest usage.

Personally I don't use the HH so I really can't be too much help in relation to its Wi-Fi setup.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

0 Ratings
Gukacell
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the info.

I have downloaded inSSIDer and run it and it show my RSSI at -37 which I believe to be ok. I also now have my channel set to 3 as everyone else is using 1, 6 or 11. I do still get random wi-fi drop though no matter what channel I am using. It sometimes goes through aphases of dropping the wi-fi every 30 seconds. 

I am going to see what happens over the next 48hours and post my findings but I have a feeling this hub is going to continue to give me issues. 

0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

read up on wireless channels and how they are used in 2.4ghz

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

more to do with 40hz 300 mbps but has nice diagram in there

by setting yours to 3 you will have overlap from  users in both channel 1 and channel 6 and u will overlap into both 1 and 6

1 6 and 11 dont overlap with each other so pick the best one for you

having said that

do real world testing on throughput and see what works best for u if 3 gives u better throughput and stablity what the heck

ii have 3 routers i can use with infinity an older edimax 6574n bt hh2 v2.0 B and bt hh3

the edimax  on its org firmware gives similar results and strength to bt hh2 on 20 hz wireless n 130 mbps to my one wirless machine. i dont use 40hz 300 mbps becasue im in flats and too many around using channels up.

the worst tested was the bt hh3 5 times worse, dont know why this is. maybe a firmware update might fix and im also waiting to make sure portwarding is fixed on the hh3

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Gukkacell inSSIDer shows my signal strength on my laptop as -50dB (considerably weaker than your -37dB) and I manage a more or less constant 32mbps so your signal strength does not seem to be the problem with your occasionally reduced download speed.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Gukacell
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Hi and thanks again for the feedback.

My internet speed has been bouncing between 10mbps and 32mbps on channel 3 but has been disconnecting and reconnecting the wifi a lot which it has done on other channels. I am trying channel 11 now which immediately knocked me up to 32mbps but I am expecting it to also fluctuate. I will post an update after testing this channel for 24 hrs.

Would anyone know if the disconnects and reconnects I have suffered is down to possible interference or a faulty router?

thanks

Update: Within 5 minutes of typing this post my internet speed has dropped from 32mbps to 15mbps 😞

0 Ratings
tompsk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I have exactly the same problem, some days its ok (ish) others im constantly rebotting it to get the wi-fi working. Have tried different channels and no difference.

Next plan is to ring BT and get a new hub as this one is doing my head in, funny thing is, i had the old original BT homehub which worked fine!

0 Ratings