cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
puratech
Contributor
Message 1 of 70

WiFi problem linking two homehubs

I have FTTP Infinity into the Homehub3 at one end of the house and a 25m ethernet cable linking to my old Homehub2 at the other end - both of these HomeHubs have their WiFi on. 2 PCs are connected to HH3 on ethernet, 1 PC connected to HH2 on ethernet. Then there are smartphones/laptops using the wifi.

The setup seems fine, HH3 192.168.1.254, HH2 192.168.1.250, DCHP disabled on HH2.  Both hubs use the same SSID, different channels (4 apart) All the PCs connected work fine both wired/wireless with either hub, the problem is with roaming and encryption...

If i turn off encryption or use WEP (on both), smartphones roam flawlessly and laptops can manually reconnect to whichever is stronger, exactly how i hoped it would work.  However when i use any of the WPA, WPA2, WPA/WPA2 settings (on both), despite connection and throughput being fine, any device moving from HH2 cant then connect to the newer HH3. Moving the other way HH3->HH2 works fine, as does reconnecting to the same hub repeatedly. Strangely, if i disconnect the ethernet link between hubs, the HH3 immediately accepts the connection.  Ive tested this extensively, repeatedly and can reproduce this time after time.

I dont know what could be wrong with the setup, as i say it works perfectly with no encryption or with WEP. My wifi knowledge is limited, but afaik WPA uses dynamic keys, is it possible that the 2 hubs need to communicate to share the current key (which i think wireless repeaters do?) and that communication is only working one way between hubs?

Has anyone got a similar setup working linking a Homehub3 to a Homehub2 as a wired accesspoint on WPA/WPA2?

Thanks πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
69 REPLIES 69
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

DHCP should only be enabled on the HH2.

There is some information on this page  Wireless boosting  , look at the document about using a HH2 as a wired repeater.

It would be best to use different wireless channels for each home hub to avoid interference.

You can only really use the same channel without problems, if you are using a universal repeater.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 3 of 70

Hi, thanks for the reply πŸ™‚

Surely DHCP should be enabled on the master router, in this case HH3?  Im using different wireless channels as per original post (although i have tried on same channel too).

Id actually found that site while googling for a solution, it was very helpful in checking my setup thanks. It says that WPA/WPA2 is fine over a wired connection which is the reason im wondering why it doesnt work for me.

Could this just be a flaw in the HH3?  Im suprised i cant find any references to people having used a HH3 with HH2 as a wired access point/repeater.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 70

Yes, I misread what you said, it should be enabled on the HH3.

Most people scrap or send back their old HH2s.

Wireless on HH3 not that good really.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 5 of 70

Do you think this is likely to be as simple as the homehubs not communicating the WPA key as it changes?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 70

Hmm, "same SSID"....

Set the HH3 to something like "HH3" and the HH2 to a different SSID

But use the same wireless key on each hub - ie a1b2c3d4e5

(I did have my HH3 and HH2 connected together and each device would select the strongest signal throughout my home)

btw, WPA2 works for all my devices (inc mobile phones)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 70

@puratech wrote:

Do you think this is likely to be as simple as the homehubs not communicating the WPA key as it changes?

WPA (PSK) does not change.

Home hub 2s wireless not much better than HH3, better using a proper AP.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 8 of 70

DS, i just made two new SSIDs (still on WEP), working fine, throughput fine.

As soon as i change the hubs to WPA/WPA2 the same problem comes back with the HH3 rejecting connections that have been on the old HH2. Disconnecting the ethernet cable between hubs instantly remedies the problem and i can connect freely between APs/SSIDs (excusing the lack of ip assignment from the HH2 as DHCP is still disabled).

Keith, i appreciate the Homehubs might not be the best access points in the world, but as wifi doesnt cover the whole house effectively there was already an ethernet cable running to the opposite corner, so given i have a HH2 not being used it made sense to hook it up as a repeater. The coverage with one at either end is great, as are the speeds etc. The problem is that for some reason i cant get better than WEP.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 9 of 70

Having tested just now with WEP + WPA, WPA+WEP and WPA+WPA on the two separate SSIDs, the problem occurs anytime the HH3 is on WPA, although it works fine on WPA when standalone. 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 70

You are removing hubs details from the devices when changing the encryption type I presume?

I set mine up using Jarviser's help files, now moved on to Filesaveas as Jarviser no longer hosts them

Heres the info I used (refer to hub2) - http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html

You don't need to use the same IP address given in the above link for the slave;)

I'd be tempted to start all over again....

If it still doesn't work, I wonder if BT have changed something on the HH3 - I'd try it again myself, but my HH3 is poorly and removed from my network

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings