Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

What IP address did you set the HH2 to?

Jarviser was originally using other home hubs as the main router and used an IP address within the DHCP range of the main home hub.

This will not work properly with the HH3, you have to select a static IP address outside of the DHCP range.

The HH3 DHCP server is very fussy about how it allocates IP addresses to physical MAC addresses.

Use something like 192.168.1.20  I had to do that with my wireless access point.

Try it, and see if its any better.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 12 of 70

Homehub3 settings:

SSID: hh3

Channel: 9

Interface: b/g/n

IP: 192.168.1.254

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

DHCP: On  Range 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.254 (default)

Firewall: Default

Port Forwarding: None

Upnp: Enabled

Extended Upnp Security: Enabled

Homehub2 settings:

SSID: hh2

Channel: 5

Interface: b/g/n

IP: 192.168.1.2 (previously .250 too)

subnet: 255.255.255.0

DHCP: Off

Firewall: Off

Port Forwarding: Off

Upnp: Off

Keith, ive just changed the homehub2 IP from .250 to .2 but it doesnt seem to make any difference.

DS, both hubs were reset when i first connected them - Ill do it again soon and try setting it all up again. I did *roughly* follow the Jarviser guide when i first set it up. I dont know much over the basics of wifi or for that matter network config, so its entirely possible ive done something incredibly stupid. On the laptop i remove the network from under "manage wireless connections" and on the smartphone i tell it to "forget" the networks then rescan.

As i said on WEP, everything works fine, i can switch between them quickly multiple times as the coverage overlaps nicely and connect to the internet without problem.

On WPA it goes..

Connect HH3: Success.

Connect HH2: Success

Connect HH3: Fail

and from there on the HH3 wont accept a connection from the device until i unplug the joining ethernet cable, but HH2 will continue to work fine. Starting with HH2...

Connect HH3: Fail

and the same problem.

Ive tried deleting the test device from under "Home Network - Devices" on the HH3 when the connection is failing, but it doesnt fix anything either.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 70

Nothing appears to be wrong with how you've set it up

Clutching at straws time - Did you ever set any device up using the WPS facility on the HH3?

(Due to a security flaw with WPS, BT had recently forced this to off)

I turned off WPS way before they did

Also I turned upnp off on my hub3 (and the hub2)

When you get chance, I'd disconnect the hub3 from the BB connection, factory reset both hubs and try again (may be even try the hub2 as the primary hub and the hub3 as the secondary - just to see if there's any difference. Then reconnect the BB connection.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 70

I think 192.168.1.2 may still be reserved for the Openzone VLAN, it was in the HH1.

Try the address I suggested.

All I know, it that there are no such problems with the TP-Link WA701ND either as an access point, or a repeater.

I don`t think the HH2 wireless is any better than the HH3 in many respects.

Part of config.ini    of HH1

add name=openzoneadd index=15 command="dhcp relay modify name=_dyn_WL$1rel intf=_dyn_WL$1IP addr 192.168.1.2 giaddr=10.10.10.138"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 70

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:snipped

I don`t think the HH2 wireless is any better than the HH3 in many respects.

I find they're both about the same - poor in comparison to some of the other ISP's routers currently on the market and never at the up to range BT claim, though they work fine* for me in my house (plus the total cost to me to set this up is nil:)). tbh the biggest issue, imho, is the fact that BT Fon and Openzone transmit on the same channel.

*took a long while to get there (thanks go to GD), but got there in the end

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 70

@puratech. I'll set it all back up and see if anything has changed since I last had it working, give me a day or so;)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 70

Openzone and FON,

They are just extra SSIDs mapped to a VLAN (Virtual LAN). My TP-Link WA701ND can transmit up to four SSIDs, each mapped to a VLAN ID  if I wanted to. They only use one wireless channel.

I just use two SSIDS, one for my main network, and one for the guest network.

Additional SSIDs do not affect the range or cause any connectivity issues. I did try all four, for a bit of fun Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 70

My mobile wifi analyser app and inSSIDer tell a different story regarding interference using my SSID with BTF/O active 😞

(currently connected by ethernet, but will post an image later on to show you what I get - I may still have some that were sent when testing and reporting to the BTF guys)

No BTF/O coming from my hub and my SSID results are much better.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 70

@DS wrote:

My mobile wifi analyser app and inSSIDer tell a different story regarding interference using my SSID with BTF/O active 😞

(currently connected by ethernet, but will post an image later on to show you what I get - I may still have some that were sent when testing and reporting to the BTF guys)

No BTF/O coming from my hub and my SSID results are much better.

That is interesting, it must be another "feature" of the home hubs. No difference at all on the TP-link.

An image would be interesting to see. Probablly the HH firmware trying to do many things at once. I have never tried it with my HH1, as the version that I have, does not support BTOZ, even though the config files and script exist.

I did execute the "openzoneadd" script once and got the Openzone SSID radiating, but there was no connectivity.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 20 of 70

I just separated the hubs, poked the reset button with a paperclip, followed the Jarviser guide again (although it doesnt really cover the wifi part and talks about replacement wifi rather than double), set up in the order suggested, HH2 as 192.168.1.20 as Keith recommended and exactly the same problems again. WEP still works fine, WPA has connection problems on the HH3. I also tried using different keys, no help there.

Keith, i appreciate the homehubs arent the best access points, i just figured that as i already have an ethernet link to a PC 15 metres away id put the old hub there to give a little more wifi coverage towards that end of the house. The coverage is great with both, every room has a good signal to at least 1 AP, id just prefer to get it working on WPA or itll niggle me relentlessly.

I found an article a few days ago - i think i was searching for dhcpcd 4.0.15 after seeing it listed under devices(lost link unfortunately), which said some linksys routers would have problems where a wifi device moved from one AP to another, because on the remote AP the client appears wired, then on the "main" AP/router the same mac address would appear as ethernet and the dhcp daemon would get confused. When a laptop for example moves from its wifi adapter to network card its mac address is different. I wondered if it could be related to something like that, but have no idea how that would tie in with the encryption level.

Thanks both of you for your help, i think ive exhausted all my ideas for now.

0 Ratings