cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:
That is interesting, it must be another "feature" of the home hubs. No difference at all on the TP-link.

An image would be interesting to see. Probablly the HH firmware trying to do many things at once. I have never tried it with my HH1, as the version that I have, does not support BTOZ, even though the config files and script exist.

I did execute the "openzoneadd" script once and got the Openzone SSID radiating, but there was no connectivity.

Found these in my (private forum) gallery

BTFon OFF.JPG

BTFon ON.JPG

Can you guess which is which (without hovering over them;))

I'm sure there's more if required:)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 70

Thats a terrible mess, its almost as if the signals are being multiplexed Smiley Sad

Its a wonder anything connects to it, there must be an awful lot of multi-tasking going on in the firmware. Trying to do too much at the cheapest possible cost I suspect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 70

Indeed, a mess - hence why I've mentioned it time and time again to BT to look in to it:(

That's actually not a bad result and I'm the only one within a 500 yard range that uses BT. I dread to think how bad it is where mutilpe hubs are in use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 70

All down to cost, like everything else. What I can`t understand, is that you can buy a good, full function, wireless router, with parental controls and a proper radio module, with an external aerial, all for £37.

I guess the home hub must be worth about £5.

As its an unlicenced radio allocation, they can do what they want I suppose?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 70

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

All down to cost, like everything else. What I can`t understand, is that you can buy a good, full function, wireless router, with parental controls and a proper radio module, with an external aerial, all for £37.

I agree, though while I'm helping out on here, I tend to stick with the gear they supply. If and when I give up on here, the gear will soon be gone:)

I guess the home hub must be worth about £5. - As much as that!Smiley LOL

As its an unlicenced radio allocation, they can do what they want I suppose? - but that doesn't help the end user:(

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 70

@puratech wrote:

Homehub3 settings:

SSID: hh3

Channel: 9

Interface: b/g/n

IP: 192.168.1.254

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

DHCP: On  Range 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.254 (default)

Firewall: Default

Port Forwarding: None

Upnp: Enabled off on mine

Extended Upnp Security: Enabled goes off on mine when turning UPnP off

Wireless settings - changed default wireless key and encryption to WPA2 only

Homehub2 settings:

SSID: hh2

Channel: 5 same channel as hub 3. It will work on a different channel

Interface: b/g/n

IP: 192.168.1.2 (previously .250 too) mines on .100 but that won't matter

subnet: 255.255.255.0

DHCP: Off

Firewall: Off

Port Forwarding: Off

Upnp: Off

Wireless settings - changed default wireless key and encryption to WPA2 only, then connected to the hub 3 by ethernet

It's working for me as I'm currently replying via my 'slave' hub. I've also been able to switch between both with no issues on the laptop or on my mobile.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 27 of 70

Well, i just copied your differences in settings and restarted the hubs and it appears to be working!

I turned off Upnp on the hh3, changed the ip of hh2 from 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.100, moved both to channel 9, with the ethernet link still connected and restarted both hubs simoultaneously from the system tab.

Its hard to be 100% sure its working from my phone, but wifi analyzer app shows the mac address of the 2 hubs and the connected one switching, HH3 devices page shows "Android...." as a wireless device on HH3, then unlisted when its on HH2 then back as wireless when it rejoins HH3. When i was having problems, if i connected it to HH2 it would always appear listed as a HH3 "ethernet" device, now it doesnt.. odd.

Ill post back later after checking with laptop and inSSIDer. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 70

It looks like DS has it sorted for you Smiley Happy

uPnP could have been the problem. I always have it disabled, as I like to know what ports are being mapped, so I just map ports manually.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 70

@puratech wrote:

Well, i just copied your differences in settings and restarted the hubs and it appears to be working!

Good

I turned off Upnp on the hh3,Smiley Wink

changed the ip of hh2 from 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.100, That'll do, but it should of workedSmiley Indifferent

moved both to channel 9, I tend to go for 1,6 or 11 (both hubs don't need to be on the same channel) to prevent wifi overlap - double check these on inSSIDer, unless there aren't many hubs/routers in your area

with the ethernet link still connected and restarted both hubs simoultaneously from the system tab.

Its hard to be 100% sure its working from my phone,You should be able to easily check this. Manually switch to each hub to test

but wifi analyzer app shows the mac address of the 2 hubs and the connected one switching, I too use the same app, often;)

HH3 devices page shows "Android...." as a wireless device on HH3, then unlisted when its on HH2 "unlisted"? - I trust you mean that the HH2 shows no devices connected?

then back as wireless when it rejoins HH3. When i was having problems, if i connected it to HH2 it would always appear listed as a HH3 "ethernet" device, now it doesnt.. odd. The HH2 should be seen on the HH3, but it does go missing for me on the odd occasion. Any device connected to the HH2 will be listed on the HH3 as a physical connection and not connected by wireless - because the HH2 is using a cable to connect to the HH3;)

Ill post back later after checking with laptop and inSSIDer. 🙂 We'll be here:)

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 30 of 70

Alright so having checked in the light of day, it seems it wasnt working 😞  Tiredness, trying not to roam the house at 4am and a confusion with another wifi app had lead me to believe it was swapping fine, in reality i dont think it connected to HH2 at all. Thatll teach me for tinkering with the network at stupid o'clock!

On your setup have you specifically tried connecting HH3>HH2>HH3? that reproduces my problem 100% of the time, it never ever works (with WPA/WPA2).

I noticed on my phone (wifi manager app), HH3 is broadcasting "WPA2 PSK CCMP" but the old HH2 is broadcasting "WPA2 PSK TKIP CCMP", is the discrepency anything important? Is yours the same? 

@DS - Would it be worth you exporting your settings in "settings>backup" and me importing the files? (replacing any sensitive passwords of course!)

0 Ratings