Contributor
Message 31 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

My versions...

HH3
Current firmware: V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B
Last updated: Unknown

HH2
Current firmware 4.7.5.1.83.3.31.1.1 (Type B)
Last updated 19/01/12
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 70

@puratech wrote:

Alright so having checked in the light of day, it seems it wasnt working 😞 Doh!

Tiredness, trying not to roam the house at 4am I know that feeling

and a confusion with another wifi app had lead me to believe it was swapping fine, in reality i dont think it connected to HH2 at all. Hmm (scratches head)

Thatll teach me for tinkering with the network at stupid o'clock!

On your setup have you specifically tried connecting HH3>HH2>HH3? that reproduces my problem 100% of the time, it never ever works (with WPA/WPA2). I tried every combination, it's all good at my end

I noticed on my phone (wifi manager app), HH3 is broadcasting "WPA2 PSK CCMP" but the old HH2 is broadcasting "WPA2 PSK TKIP CCMP", is the discrepency anything important? Is yours the same? Nope, my wifi manager shows both as WPA PSK

@DS - Would it be worth you exporting your settings in "settings>backup" and me importing the files? (replacing any sensitive passwords of course!) It won't help you:( You've different firmware versions. Mine are (HH3) 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 and (HH2) 4.7.5.1.83.3.18 - this could by why mine works and yours fails.

The only other thing, that I'm not sure has been mentioned, is that I've turned off WPS on the HH3

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 33 of 70

Why is my HH3 version number an odd format, perhaps its due an upgrade? Ive only had it since Friday.

By "wifi manager" i meant specifically the android app by that name btw, my wifi settings page shows WPA2 PSK on both. Ive played around with it a lot trying so many settings and combinations im beginning to confuse myself, it seems the case that if HH3 is on WPA/WPA2 it wont accept a connection from a wifi device thats been on HH2 regardless of the security HH2 is using.  Also existing HH3 wifi connected devices are always unaffected and able to reconnect to HH3 while its rejecting one thats been on HH2 recently.

I know how this is going to sound, but where is the WPS option? I cant find it anymore on my new HH.  I recall it being on the wifi configuration page with some note about it being disabled if you switch to WEP? This page http://192.168.1.254/html/settings/a_wireless_configuration.html

Are there any apps/logs for pc or android that would show the communication/negotiation while the network is connecting? It would be interesting to see where exactly its failing, rather than a silly circle hourglass then an error.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 70

Check the label on the underside of the HH3, I'm sure yours is a type b

I'll pop on the market as my wifi analyser app doesn't give me all that info you've written:(

Mine just shows WPA2

You mentioned WPA/WPA2 - mine is WPA2 only (via the hub settings)

The WPS HAS vanished:o, my bad. It's there after a full factory reset and remains there when it's then connected to the internet. It obviously vanishes after an unknown time.

Speaking of factory reset - what are yo doing to achieve this? You need to press and hold the reset button (with a paper clip or similar) for 15 seconds or so, until the lights go out. I always do this with the hub(s) disconnected from the internet.

Don't us anything like that so can't help you. I only use inSSIDer on the PC.

puratech
Contributor
Message 35 of 70

@DS wrote:

Check the label on the underside of the HH3, I'm sure yours is a type b Yep it is 🙂

I'll pop on the market as my wifi analyser app doesn't give me all that info you've written:(

Mine just shows WPA2 The app isnt great (free version anyway), less functionality/control than the actual android wifi settings page, i used it because it includes a homescreen widget that lets you quickly change wifi networks when it would wake up and connect to btfon. Thankfully disabled on new hub.

You mentioned WPA/WPA2 - mine is WPA2 only (via the hub settings) Last night i tried "WPA 2 Only", then today tried both "WPA/WPA2" and "WPA only".

The WPS HAS vanished:o, my bad. It's there after a full factory reset and remains there when it's then connected to the internet. It obviously vanishes after an unknown time. I was worried i was losing the plot...

Speaking of factory reset - what are yo doing to achieve this? You need to press and hold the reset button (with a paper clip or similar) for 15 seconds or so, until the lights go out. I always do this with the hub(s) disconnected from the internet. Yeah paperclip, or slightly less friendly safetypin in the reset hole on the back of the hub(s).

Will the HH2 work as the main router connected to the openreach fibre modem thingy if i just plug into one of its ethernet ports? Im thinking ill try them the other way round if thats possible, but will have to wait until people arent using the net. Im on FTTP btw, which is working very well so far (speedtester has me at 106mbit/15mbit) 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 70

hi no not unless it has a fibre input like the hh3 has
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 70

@puratech wrote:

@DS wrote:

Check the label on the underside of the HH3, I'm sure yours is a type b Yep it is 🙂

That's the only difference then imho

Mine just shows WPA2 The app isnt great (free version anyway), less functionality/control than the actual android wifi settings page, i used it because it includes a homescreen widget that lets you quickly change wifi networks when it would wake up and connect to btfon. Thankfully disabled on new hub.

Checked the settings on the app (I may have changed it previously) - Both of my hubs are [WPA-PSK-TKIP+CCMP]

You mentioned WPA/WPA2 - mine is WPA2 only (via the hub settings) Last night i tried "WPA 2 Only", then today tried both "WPA/WPA2" and "WPA only".

It's got to be a HH3b thing that's doing something odd

The WPS HAS vanished:o, my bad. It's there after a full factory reset and remains there when it's then connected to the internet. It obviously vanishes after an unknown time. I was worried i was losing the plot...

I have lost it 😄

Speaking of factory reset - what are yo doing to achieve this? You need to press and hold the reset button (with a paper clip or similar) for 15 seconds or so, until the lights go out. I always do this with the hub(s) disconnected from the internet. Yeah paperclip, or slightly less friendly safetypin in the reset hole on the back of the hub(s).

Or a house brick 😉

Will the HH2 work as the main router connected to the openreach fibre modem thingy if i just plug into one of its ethernet ports? Im thinking ill try them the other way round if thats possible, but will have to wait until people arent using the net. Im on FTTP btw, which is working very well so far (speedtester has me at 106mbit/15mbit) 🙂

As John said, no. Look for one red ethernet port on the back?

and heres me on an up to 8mb connection, ripping up the www at an impressive 6.84Mbps - zoooooomSmiley LOL

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 38 of 70

I think weve tried everything now anyway and ive spent way too much time messing about with it, and pestering people for help! 😉  The house is like an L shape, with the HH3 at one end and unsuprisingly weak signal at the other end, which although wired and rarely needed for wifi there, would have been nice to make use of the HH2 to give complete coverage, but its not the end of the world. 🙂

I would have imagined it would be quite a common setup, for people to try to use their old hub as a wired AP rather than bin it, so expected the problem to be a bit more common or more people to have tried it.

If youre interested as i was previously also on around 8mb too, the speed increase is huge in theory but not massively noticable in practice, (with the exception of a microsoft download at 12mbytes/sec), ive not seen much over the speeds i saw on adsl. Ping tends to be about 6-7ms lower but mine was quite low anyway. Where it seems good is with multiple people streaming iplayer/netflix, downloading, gaming etc at the same time 🙂

Really appreciate all the help and suggestions with this from all who replied, even if its not fixed yet Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 70

Well I do know that the TP-Link WA701ND works fine as an access point or a repeater, as other forum members have confirmed.

Not really a solution to your HH2 problem, but I have never found the home hubs wireless much good anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 70

@puratech wrote:

I think weve tried everything now anyway and ive spent way too much time messing about with it, and pestering people for help! 😉 

Well I can't come up with a reason why it shouldn't of worked, except the type b hub. What have I achieved from this - I've set up my 2 hubs again:)

Keep pestering (not about this though:D), it keeps us on our toes;)

The house is like an L shape, with the HH3 at one end and unsuprisingly weak signal at the other end,

That's why I did set up 2 hubs, I find the range aint all it's cracked up to be:(

which although wired and rarely needed for wifi there, would have been nice to make use of the HH2 to give complete coverage, but its not the end of the world. 🙂

Indeed, it would of been nice, plus it would of been set up and working for free

I would have imagined it would be quite a common setup, for people to try to use their old hub as a wired AP rather than bin it, so expected the problem to be a bit more common or more people to have tried it.

The main use for these hubs, when they are no longer needed, is to unlock them and use them with another ISP. That to me, must mean that they do work well enough or nobody would go down the route of unlocking them:|

If youre interested as i was previously also on around 8mb too, the speed increase is huge in theory but not massively noticable in practice, (with the exception of a microsoft download at 12mbytes/sec), ive not seen much over the speeds i saw on adsl. Ping tends to be about 6-7ms lower but mine was quite low anyway. Where it seems good is with multiple people streaming iplayer/netflix, downloading, gaming etc at the same time 🙂

Cost of the service is my biggest issue. I'm not all that bothered about getting more speed, though having said that, when my area is upgraded (which they are currently doing) I will expect to be getting a similar percentage in speed, without paying too much for this improvement

Really appreciate all the help and suggestions with this from all who replied, even if its not fixed yet Smiley Very Happy

Don't know and it's probably not worth it, but I wonder if an unlocked hub (if the type b can be tweaked) would work as some of the BT bloatware gets removed.....

I even tried modifying one of my HH3's by adding 2 extra antenna, it did improve it but not by a great amount.

0 Ratings