cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RLB70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

I'm having the exact same problem. Anyone found a fix?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 70

0 Ratings
RLB70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 70

Thanks for this. I have the first set-up described in the link, with an access point connected to to my home hub using powerline adaptors. This worked fine for several years with my old router (ADSL) but now I have BT Infinity and the HH3, I'm getting the same strange behaviour described in this thread.

Namely, I can connect the the HH3 wirelessly (say with an iPad), but if the iPad them switches to the Access Point instead, the HH3 from that point will no longer accept the iPad (or anything else) connecting wirelessly. Essentially, the Access Point becomes the only wireless entry point to my network, and the HH3 rejects any further connections. 

It seems to be something to do with the WPA authentication. My iPad (or phone, laptop) can see the HH3 SSID and will make a brief connection, but is then thrown off because it can't authenticate.

Obviously, one solution is to get another Access Point and put it next to the HH3 to get constant wifi coverage in that part of the house, but it shouldn't be necessary. The HH3 should be accepting connections all the time. 

One interesting thing is the way HH3 uses different MAC addresses for wired and wireless connections (in this context, it treats something connected via an Access Point as wired since it gets to the HH3 via a powerline adaptor). Could that be contributing to the problem (and if so, what can I do about it?).

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 70

Have you set the encryption on the HH3 to WPA only, and not WPA/WPA2?

0 Ratings
RLB70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 70

Thanks for the tip, but I've just tried and it makes no difference. Apparently, according to several posts, it works if I drop right down to WEP but that isn't a sensible security setting any more. I assume there's a bug in the firmware? Is there a way of reporting that the BT so they can release a fix?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 70

@RLB70 wrote:
Thanks for the tip, but I've just tried and it makes no difference. Apparently, according to several posts, it works if I drop right down to WEP but that isn't a sensible security setting any more. I assume there's a bug in the firmware? Is there a way of reporting that the BT so they can release a fix?

Its more likely that the access point you are using is not configured to suit the HH3, what static IP address did you set it to, and what is the make and model?

0 Ratings
RLB70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 70

Thanks for the reply.

There are two Access Points in addition to the HH3:

A TP-Link TL-WA701ND, connected via Powerline adapters, using a static IP of 192.168.1.4

A Devolo dLan 200AV Wireless N Access Point, which is an integrated Powerline plug and Access Point, using a static IP of 192.168.1.5

None of the settings have changed since I was on using a Belkin router on ADSL, except to change the address of the gateway to 192.168.1.254 from 192.168.1.1

The two wireless APs accept connections and devices roam easily between them. But the HH3 rejects wireless connections, seemingly as it tries to authenticate WPA. If I disconnect the two APs, the HH3 accepts connections fine. So it's not a simple password error.

Anything I should change, or check?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 70

@RLB70 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

There are two Access Points in addition to the HH3:

A TP-Link TL-WA701ND, connected via Powerline adapters, using a static IP of 192.168.1.4

A Devolo dLan 200AV Wireless N Access Point, which is an integrated Powerline plug and Access Point, using a static IP of 192.168.1.5

None of the settings have changed since I was on using a Belkin router on ADSL, except to change the address of the gateway to 192.168.1.254 from 192.168.1.1

The two wireless APs accept connections and devices roam easily between them. But the HH3 rejects wireless connections, seemingly as it tries to authenticate WPA. If I disconnect the two APs, the HH3 accepts connections fine. So it's not a simple password error.

Anything I should change, or check?

The address 192.168.1.1 is internally reserved for handling part of the Openzone virtual WLAN, so its not advisable to use that as the gateway address.

It is better to leave the gateway as 192.168.1.254

DHCP 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.237

i.e. The home hub default.

TP link at 192.168.1.15

Devlolo at 192.168.1.16

This puts the access points out of the DHCP range, and prevents problems.

0 Ratings
RLB70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 70

Thanks. The HH3 is on the default 192.168.1.254. The old Belkin was 192.168.1.1. So I had to change the gateway setting on the access points to point at the new HH3 address. I'll try swapping the AP IP addresses as you suggest and let you know. But the HH3 inbuilt help file is explicit that acceptable IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 to 198.162.1.253, and addresses 10.x.x.x are reserved for BT Fon, so something seems odd. I'll try swapping the IP Addresses and let you know.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 70

It was actually 192.168.1.2

But it may have changed since the HH1, in the HH1 config it says

"add name=openzoneadd index=15 command="dhcp relay modify name=_dyn_WL$1rel intf=_dyn_WL$1IP addr 192.168.1.2 giaddr=10.10.10.138"

The access points do not need a gateway address, as the connecting devices get that from the DHCP server.

In fact you may upset things if you put them in.

Normally you would just put in the IP address, and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0  nothing else.

The default gateway is simply the address that devices use, if they need to access the Internet.

The IP address, default gateway, and DNS servers are passed to the connecting devices, when a DHCP request is sent to the home hub.

0 Ratings