Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 51 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

@RLB70 - If you do get it working please post here 🙂

Interesting to see the same problem exists with other APs, it would suggest that the HH3 is almost certainly the common problem in our setups. Ive mostly given up and hoping for a miracle firmware fix.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 70

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried switching to the 192.168.1.14 and 15 IP addresses and leaving the gateway field blank, but it makes no difference. I can still connect to the two APs but the HH3 still rejects connections. It still looks like a WPA issue as it does try to connect, before being kicked off for not authenticating. Apparently this all works if you use WEP? Which suggests its something to do with the at WPA is handled? But happy to keep trying if anyone has any others ideas.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 70

Hi puratech - as a temporary solution I shall dig out my old router, configure it as an AP and plug it straight into the HH3. But I'm still keen to get the HH3 working properly if I can. So any other suggestion welcome!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 54 of 70

A small and probably irrelevant point, but iirc the HH3 wouldnt reject *all* wifi connections after a device connects via the other AP, just the one in that used the other AP, until the AP it connected to was disconnected from the HH3. The other AP would continue to allow the device to reconnect freely.

Its as if the HH3 doesnt realise that the device is off the other AP until you physically disconnect the AP and WPA doesnt like that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 55 of 70

@RLB70 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried switching to the 192.168.1.14 and 15 IP addresses and leaving the gateway field blank, but it makes no difference. I can still connect to the two APs but the HH3 still rejects connections. It still looks like a WPA issue as it does try to connect, before being kicked off for not authenticating. Apparently this all works if you use WEP? Which suggests its something to do with the at WPA is handled? But happy to keep trying if anyone has any others ideas.

Well I do know of people using the TP link as a repeater or an access point, after following the instructions on my web page.

Everything is set to WPA only not WPA/WPA2. The home hub is locked manually to one channel, and the TP Link to another much higher channel.

Both the HH and the TP Link have different SSIDs, otherwise the HH3 gets confused.

The exception being, if the TP Link is being used as a universal repeater.

My page is here, but I think you may have already seen it Wireless boosting

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 70

Thanks for this. I've tried the set up you suggest, from when you were helping puratech. Like him, it doesn't work for me. The behaviour is very odd - I can connect to the HH3 wirelessly, then roam onto another AP, but then can't roam back onto the HH3 and nothing else will connect to the HH3 from then on. It is interesting that the HH3 firmware uses a different MAC address for wired and wireless connections, and treats anything connecting via an AP as a wired connection. The only time the HH3 registers something as wireless is when the device connects directly to the HH3 itself, at which point is uses a different MAC address. I can't help but suspect the source of the problem is here, especially because the whole set up worked fine with my old router.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 57 of 70

The MAC address it should be seeing, should be the MAC address of the wireless device that is connecting, and it should make no difference whether that  comes via wireless or Ethernet.

Have you looked at the MAC address that it is seeing in the connected devices, and does it match your wireless device?

The APs MAC address should not appear, unless the AP is being used as a universal repeater.

Have you tried it with only the HH3 and the TP link AP, to see if its the other AP that is upsetting it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 58 of 70

Connected via HH2 (AP) it appears as...

Physical connections

CC:96:A0:0D:76:EC

Connected on HH3 wifi it appears as...

Wireless connections

CC:96:A0:0D:76:ED

Thats how my smartphone appears on the "Home Network - Devices" page of the HH3 in each instance. Its MAC address ....F2:9D matches the one in the wifi settings page and appears the same on both devices.

In my case the HH2 (AP) appears as a wired device, originally it was called something like BTHomeHub then i deleted it and now it appears as...

Unknown-00-21-04-CC-D1-20 Connected

Should it not appear in the devices list?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 59 of 70

@puratech wrote:

Connected via HH2 (AP) it appears as...

Physical connections

CC:96:A0:0D:76:EC

Connected on HH3 wifi it appears as...

Wireless connections

CC:96:A0:0D:76:ED

Thats how my smartphone appears on the "Home Network - Devices" page of the HH3 in each instance. Its MAC address ....F2:9D matches the one in the wifi settings page and appears the same on both devices.

In my case the HH2 (AP) appears as a wired device, originally it was called something like BTHomeHub then i deleted it and now it appears as...

Unknown-00-21-04-CC-D1-20 Connected

Should it not appear in the devices list?

It should not appear at all as a device, as it purely a transparent device. I would say that you have a setting wrong in the home hub 2.

Make sure its IP address in not within the HH3 DHCP range, so the HH3 will not attempt to allocate it one.

I know that Jarvisers guide says differently, but it will not work that way on the HH3.

It has to appear as a transparent device, so that the HH3 only sees the MAC of you Android phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 60 of 70

Home network name: 
Unknown-00-21-04-CC-D1-20

Connection information

Connection type: 
Ethernet 

Connection speed: 
100 Mbps 

Connection status: 
Currently connected 

Addressing

MAC address: 
00:21:04:CC:D1:20 

IP address assignment: 
Static 

IP address: 

This is how the HH2 (AP) appears in my main HH3 router. Ive tried numerous ip addresses both in and outside the HH3 DHCP range, including the ones you told me to a few pages back 🙂

0 Ratings