Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 61 of 70

Re: WiFi problem linking two homehubs

Is DHCP turned off on the home hub2? I have never tried to use a HH2 as an access point. Other people on this forum have tried and failed. So it looks like it may not be possible. I do know it works with the TP link WAP, because that is a dedicated device, and is transparent.

Have you tried deleting the device from the HH3 device list?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 62 of 70

@Keith - Yeah DHCP off on HH2 (AP), DHCP on on HH3. The other helper/expert guy "DS" a few pages back had the same setup with HH3 as the router and HH2 as the access point working perfectly, i checked and double checked his settings and couldnt find any differences, tried numerous resets etc. The only difference is that I have the HH3 Type B, where DS had the Type A version. 

@RLB70 - Is your HH3 the Type A or B? (It says on the label on the base)

Hopefully you can figure it out with the TP Link 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 63 of 70

As I said on my webpage, its difficult to provide support for other devices, especially as I have a totally different setup.

I keep a spare TP link device for testing purposes and I also have one as a WAP. I even managed to get the repeater mode to repeat a weak BT Fon signal from a HH3 user a few hundred yards away Smiley Happy

Ended up with a strong BT Fon signal in my house, as my old HH1 does not work with FON.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 70

Hi Puratech Mine is a type B, but after speaking to BT help desk today ( who were pretty helpful!) they are posting me a free type A HH3 to try. So we'll have an opportunity to do a proper test. They also promised to do some testing of their own and call me next week - they didn't seem very confident that the type A router would be any better and mentioned pushing for a firmware update on the type B, on the basis that the problem I'm having has some similarity to problems they've seen with xBox users? If I get anywhere, I'll let you know!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 65 of 70

Just an update. The helpful guy on the BT wasn't so helpful after all, as he didn't actually send the HH3 type A he promised or call back with an update from the the senior tech guys. I've double checked the settings. All WPA2, same SSID, static IPs on the Access Points. Can roam between the access points but wifi connections won't authenticate on the HH3 ( a connection is made and then rejected when it won't authenticate, so presumably something to do with the WPA key not being properly passed to the HH3, although clearly it is passed to the other Access Points). If I unplug the access points, connections to the HH3 start working. Am becoming convinced it's a firmware problem. But reporting that to BT seems to be impossible - I can find no contact details to report faults with a HH. Have had to turn off wifi on the HH3 and just use Access Points to connect. Daft!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 66 of 70

I prefer to use a separate access point anyway, as it takes the strain off the home hub if its used purely as an ADSL modem/router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 67 of 70

RLB70, thanks for the update 🙂  I was hoping that youd be able to say whether the Type A worked or not. Am i right in thinking that with the wifi turned off the homehub3 the other access 2 points work fine, youre just missing the 3rd wifi point (ie. no HH3 wifi)?  Its a shame you didnt get a HH3a to try.

My issue is that the HH3 otherwise works fine and i can as i have done for years live without wifi coverage in 1/2 rooms that its not really needed in, but its so irritatingly close to working perfectly, coverage with both hubs' wifi on is awesome everywhere in the house and outside - but not worth the glitchy HH3 problems.

I was thinking about getting a HH3a to replace the HH3b, but unsure of if itll even fix the problem now.  Even before you posted here, im leaning towards getting another AP and turning off the HH3 wifi. I was even thinking about getting another very cheapy HH2 on an online auction so id have the HH3 with wifi off, wired to two HH2s one near, one far.

Ive subscribed to this thread btw, so any updates and it sends an email 🙂  Will continue to post back here if i have anything new to add.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 68 of 70

😞 I too was waiting to find out if it was a type b issue

fyi I had another 3a sent out on Tuesday, set it up and this works fine with my slave hh2

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 69 of 70

A little update...

I bought a second hand Homehub 2 (for 99p+P&P) and connected it to the HH3 and turned off the HH3 wireless, essentially replacing it's wireless function.

Its hard to explain my network setup and its far from elegant, but it functions well. I have the fibre modem connected into the HH3 (wifi off), which is connected to a HH2a next to it and a HH2b at the other end of the house, both wired and both with wifi on.  Theres a good strong signal everywhere in the house - no deadspots, devices can roam if they support it now and ive got WPA/WPA2 security on both wifi points. 🙂  Itll also probably a bonus to take some load off the HH3 too.

Maybe not the best solution, but its a very cheap workaround for some HH3 wifi AP issues 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 70 of 70

Sounds like a similar problem I have with a HH2 and an edimax 7228apn universal repeater.

Trying to use it as a wireless range extender. Works a treat in WEP, fails in WPA only or WPA2 only mode.

Can connect wirelessly to either hub but cannot access the net from the Edimax.

0 Ratings