cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 7

WiFi speed - a theorectical question just out of curiosity

Scenario is a small hamlet where all the homes have BB - download speed say 1-1.5mbps.

Presumably they will be able to use FON/OZ so what would their download speed be ( my BB is 5.3mbps FON 3.5mbps)

Is it linked to distance from exchange or other factors - what if no-one used BB but FON would this have a major impact.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: WiFi speed - a theorectical question just out of curiosity

FON can't possibly be faster than the broadband line it's connected through, and the person who's line it is has priority.

FON is only available near a Home Hub or in some commercial premises, so you couldn't get a situation where nobody has broadband and just uses FON.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

The comment about not using BB was meant to be about the users not using their BB but just FON (not not having BB) so that the priority issue didn't arise. I only raised the question because I don't know what restricts WiFi since it kinda doesn't come down the line.

Your reply has raised a further point (not covered by my scenario) which is - what if there are different speeds because of how things have been done - say for example 50% have 1.5mbps and 50% have 3mbps would the WiFi max be 1.5 or could it be higher. I appreciate this is just my musings but it does give  some insight into how WiFi works for a muppet like me.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

As I understand it [and I'm not sure I do Smiley Surprised] the maximum BT Wi Fi [as it is now known] speed is about 0.5meg.  The account owner always has priority over third parties accessing his/her hub.

But first: you have to find a Wi Fi point anyway Smiley Wink

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 7

I think BT have raised the max BTWifi/BTfon/BTOpenzone speed to upto 8mb but depending on how fast the customers broadband connection to the hub is.

The owner of the BTFon/BTwifi-with-Fon/BTopenzone-H hotspot will have priority over the other connections public customer

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Max speed is 8mbps  - I get 3.5

I know that this thread isn't topical or necessarily relevant but assuming there is WiFi - there should be enough hubs in my example -  what could be the speed if none of the 3mbps hubs were being used ( is it limited to 1.5 or could it be up to 3 as these hubs aren't being used.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

you only connect to the hub nearest to you and your download speed is controlled by the speed of that hub