Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cathy8
Beginner
Message 131 of 1,144

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

Bought sim only deals from BT for my husband and I, moving from EE. Spoke to BT twice to double check costs, service etc and explained we have no signal here so rely heavily on wifi calling. Long story short, no wifi calling. BT to its credit has offered for me to cancel my contract even though I am outside the 14 days, but also assure me wifi calling will be here end 2017/early 2018. Advice please. Should I stay or should I go? And please tell me it will issue a PAC code so we can keep our numbers. And finally, why on earth can't BT issue a statement about the timing of wifi calling  It is a key issue for people in rural/poor signal areas. 

0 Ratings
jchhenderson
Contributor
Message 132 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi,

I have also heard late 2017 / early 2018.  ...but I have heard various versions of this up to and including "Q1, 2018".  They are not ready to announce it yet which could mean the timing is not guaranteed.

You will need a PAC code to keep you number if you leave, but I am sure they will give you that.

You could ask for one of their "Signal Assist" boxes (it's a FemtoCell which provides a BT signal for your house but uses your internet connection in a similar way to WIFI calling) but no gurantee you will get one.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 133 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi Cathy8

I feel the pain about poor coverage and the need for wifi calling, but im guessing its going to be early 2018. With the introduction of 4G Calling a slight upgraded to standard wifi calling, it lkooks like they are currently testing the new features. 4G calling is also new to EE so I suppose they want to make sure it works as it should before a rollout. Text on the website and app would lead you to belive it will be sooner rather than later but this is no help to you right now.

The signal boxes were on two short trials and they have now ended, so the only help you have at the moment is Smart talk which is only good for outgoing calls charged to your home number.

0 Ratings
jchhenderson
Contributor
Message 134 of 1,144

Go to solution

@Dean007 - do you have reason to believe that 4G reception will be better than 3G reception?

I do believe they have some "Signal Assist" boxes left over from the trial...

J.

0 Ratings
jchhenderson
Contributor
Message 135 of 1,144

Go to solution
...just re-read your reply. Are you referring to the fact that 4G has wifi calling built into the standard? Do you think that WIFI calling will roll-out for BT any the same time as 4G?
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 136 of 1,144

Go to solution

It is more based down to the type of technology that EE have implemtented.  It will allow wifi calling and allow you to surf at the same time at higher speeds. Currently wifi calling apparently slows down the browsing speeds, its also supposed to give a better quality calls.

Many people have tried to get the signal boxes, but failed but its always worth a shot

0 Ratings
jchhenderson
Contributor
Message 137 of 1,144

Go to solution
thanks.

I guess I was lucky then as I got a signal box quite recently but admittedly after a lot of trying.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 138 of 1,144

Go to solution

The signal boxes work short term, but they are reliant to your home broadband and offer a 3G signal. Im not sure how you got a box as normally the option to offer them by an agent would be removed, but like everything it depends who you get on the end of the phone.

The current technology that BT mobile uses means that if on a voice call, data speeds suffer if you try and do both at the same time. With 4G Calling and Wifi Calling it will allow customers to connect to any wifi network in the UK that allows the protocol. With new buildings meeting regualtions and things like celotex used more, these make getting indoor coverage even harder.

0 Ratings
RichardOsborn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 139 of 1,144

Go to solution

So, is there any further official word from BT as to when WiFi Calling will be rolled out? Like many others, I am struggling for a signal at home and am currently on GiffGaff but will move over to BT as soon as WiFi Calling is introducted.

I know that there are other main networks that already offer WiFi Calling, but as a BT phone and broadband customer, would prefer to move the whole family over to the BT Mobile Family SIMs but can't wait forever if WiFi Calling is never going to happen!

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 140 of 1,144

Go to solution
Hi Richard

4G and Wi-fi calling seems to be in a trial phase. The websites and app have started to show information about these. My guess would be January or February at the latest.

Although other networks have Wi-fi calling, EE have only just introduced 4G Wi-fi calling allowing users to maintain a high speed browsing whilst the phone is in Wi-fi calling mode.

So in short the answer to your question is yes it’s coming once they feel it’s ready for a full roll out.
0 Ratings