Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbz5416
Aspiring Expert
Message 891 of 1,144

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

@gnattycole

If anything you need to check APN settings, not attempt to switch the network. Should be something like Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. My new BT SIM only has one option called Internet & the settings are as follows:

Name: Internet
APN: everywhere
Proxy: Not Required
Port: Not Required
Username: eesecure
Password: secure
Server: Not Required

Apart from the name (which is irrelevant), this is identical to EE's settings. If yours is something different try creating a new one with these settings.

With my old Vodafone SIM I had a whole raft of settings for different providers but these all disappeared when the BT SIM was inserted. I'm guessing this is what is being pushed to existing SIMS which may have different APN.

0 Ratings
Crepusculous
Beginner
Message 892 of 1,144

Go to solution
Has anyone got WiFi calling working on a Nexus 6P? It came straight from Google so has vanilla latest Oreo with the April security update. I've tried changing APN settings to no avail but can't find a link for EE firmware (does it exist for this phone?). If there is no carrier firmware for the 6P I don't understand the "may" work. Surely it will or won't?
BTW my daughter has a Pixel (1) XL and it just worked on her phone. She hadn't even noticed it was there. Hers came straight from Google too.
Thx for thoughts 🙂
0 Ratings
Ant2011
Contributor
Message 893 of 1,144

Go to solution

I have a Galaxy S8 bought direct from Samsung with the standard Samsung firmware on it.  I recently tried an EE SIM card in it and both WiFi calling and 4G calling worked.  Does that make it likely they will work with BT Mobile too?  Has anyone tried a standard Samsung Galaxy S8?

0 Ratings
Hakdaddy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 894 of 1,144

Go to solution
You keep on saying it needs to run EE EVR firmware version but that's not true. I have 2 phones listed on BT Mobile wifi calling list, both of them work on EE Network it BT Mobile won't work on either. If BT Mobile runs on the EE Network and EE can fix wifi calling issues by sending settings down to the phone SIM, why the hell can't BT do the same? They are the parent company for EE and effectively BT Mobile is just a brand, constantly defending them for their screw ups makes no sense. This policy is ridiculous
mronks
Beginner
Message 895 of 1,144

Go to solution

@dgnwrote:
I too have Redmi note 4 with the miui version 9.5 global stable. However not able to see the toggle button to set WiFi calling in the setting. Tried the option suggested in your reply and showed enabled but still the option does not appear the settings. Any thoughts what else could be the issue?

Xiaomi don't support VoWifi, only VoLTE.

0 Ratings
mbailey999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 896 of 1,144

Go to solution

I've got a Samsung Galaxy 8+ on BT sim only deal. I bought the phone, as you did, direct from Samsung.

I cannot get wifi calling on the menus depite talking to BT and Samsung about it. Both say that it is the other party who enables it! Circles on more than one occasion.

It's very fruistrating as I live in a small village in Kent, no mobby signal in the house but if i go outside there is a fair (2-3 bars) signal.

I haven't tried an EE card in the phone but I've made 13 calls to BT mobile about it - they assure me that it should be availble to  me at the end of this month........... I'm not holding my breath though!

mbailey999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 897 of 1,144

Go to solution

I too have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ on sim only from BT bought directly from Samsung UK.

I don't have the options to turn on wifi calling in my menus and depsite mutliple calls to both Samsung and BT there's no progress for me. I've tried everything they told me to do but BT tell me it should be on the menu provided by Samsung and Samsung tell me it is an added feature supplied by BT. Despite 13 calls to BT now about this, still no progress. Going around in circles here.

BT tell me it shoud be available to me and I might have to wait until the end of the month for it to be activated......... although I'm holding my breath.

I have no signal in the house and haven't had for the eight months I've been with BT. I can get 2-3 bars in the garden.

I haven't tried an EE card in the phone but that might be the next step.

0 Ratings
Ant2011
Contributor
Message 898 of 1,144

Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know.  I'd switch to BT mobile if I knew I could use VoLTE and WiFi calling, but I don't want to sign up to find it doesn't work on my handset.

I don't think it's Samsung's responsibility to activate anything.  The Wi-Fi calling option should appear in the S8's phone app settings automatically if it's available on the network.  It's there with my Plusnet SIM installed (even though Plusnet don't support it) but disappears when I have a Three SIM card in there. 

When I tried an EE card in a local EE store, a VoLTE symbol appeared straight away and this changed to a WiFi calling symbol when I connected to a WiFi hotspot they set up.  All without having to do anything.  I'd hoped that BT would use the same system as EE and it would just work too, but I can't try a BT SIM to confirm.

Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 899 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi @mbailey999

Confusing hey? Let’s try and put some of those questions to rest..

First of all, the sim needs to be enabled for Wi-fi and 4G calling. The BT mobile chat team can confirm if your sim has been updated yet. The last time I was aware it would take until the end of April for all sims to get the update. 

The updates will not add any menus to the handset so even when the sim is enabled, if you can’t find the Wi-fi calling setting now it, then it won’t appear.

It seems that only the EE variant seems to work, there well maybe others but this is the one that has been commonly put on handsets and it’s worked. As BT do not support handsets other than the S9 from them, that’s why they are reluctant to help or offer advice in case you brick the handset. 

I can’t offer a solution but hope this helps understand what’s going on. You may want to look at various firmware for that handset. Be check with the mobile chat team first if your sim has been enabled. 

BT Mobile Chat

Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 900 of 1,144

Go to solution

@Ant2011

You could try a sim free sim pckage you have a 30 day cooling off period. 

0 Ratings