Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smileyk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1011 of 1,144

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

Before I ordered our 4 family SIMs I asked repeatedly if wifi dialling would work with our non BT handsets.  I was repeatedly told that yes it would.  I kept checking as the info online wasn't conclusive.  I stressed that I had two Samsung S6, a Samsung S7 and a Samsung J3 (I think).  I was guaranteed that wifi dialling would work so I proceeded with the purchase.  Now the option for wifi dialling that I used to have on my phone has vanished.  Does this mean that I need to do something else or that once again BT has lied to me and it won't actually work on these handsets?

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 1012 of 1,144

Go to solution

As @Dean007 and others have repeatedly said the only guarenteed phone are Samsung S9, S9+ provided by BT and iPhones SE and 6 onwards. Other android variants may or may not work either 'out of the box' or by flashing EE EVR firmware. I suspect, but may be wrong, that some BT Customer Service people may be reading this board (or hearing from other sources) and are seeing/hearing that people have got 'non guaranteed' androids to work. Whilst this approach may be seen as being helpful, it isn't really. BT employees should be quoting the official BT line or, at the very least,  advsing that 'non guarenteed' androids may or may not work.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 1013 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi @Smileyk

Sorry to hear that you were given the incorrect information by an agent, clearly I was not on the call so I conment why they would have said this.

To clarify, the only handsets that are officially supported at the ones listed on the website. As BT do not offer support for these handsets theres nothing they can do to make the setting appear. You can try looking at changing the APN to EE to see if this brings back the option. 

The best option you have right now, is to speak to the mobile chat team and discuss if you still want to keep the handsets if changing the APN doesnt work. You MUST do this before the end of the 30 cooling off period. If you are still not happy I can ask a moderator to come and have a chat. But they wont be able to add the service!

0 Ratings
markm1975
Beginner
Message 1014 of 1,144

Go to solution

When will BT add the later S9 to the WiFi calling program that has not been purcahsed from BT..  after many hours on the phone to BT and Samsung both saying its the other parties issue :   I have tested the phone and Wifi calling works on the EE APN so this confirmed my phobne and SIM works..  but when I select the the EE APN selected I cant get data when not connected to WiFi.  

unless anyone knows of a workaround for this ?  

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 1015 of 1,144

Go to solution

Hi @markm1975

In short BT will not officially support any handsets that are not purchased from them, nor can they guanrantee that they will work and theres no current talk of this changing. But as you have seen, they do work with a few tweaks.

@rbz5416 has posted in this thread the exact settings that seems to work for handsets that just require a change of APN, other than flashing the handset to an EE -AVR Variant that is the only solution at the moment im afraid.

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 1016 of 1,144

Go to solution

@Kippaxwrote:

BT introduced wifi calling at the end of March so we have now had a little time for the dust to settle.

I suggest that we could start a list of phones we now will work ie phones that we actually own and work, so I will start the ball rolling :-

Phone                 Wifi Calling         Volte

iphone5s               Yes                      Yes

iphoneSE                Yes                      Yes

Oneplus 3               No                       Yes

HTC 10                     No                        No

These are the four phones I/family have - we are on a BT family sim package.  Great value and now crystal clear on the phones that work with wifi calling.  To me having wifi calling is a no brainer and should seriously influence the decision about which phone that one should buy.

I'll add to that

Phone                 Wifi Calling         Volte

iphone5s               Yes                      Yes

iphoneSE                Yes                      Yes

Oneplus 3               No                       Yes

HTC 10                     No                        No

Nokia 8                   Yes                      Yes

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 1017 of 1,144

Go to solution

Creating a list is a great idea, but it will give misleading information. Not all of the devices have the same variant of firmware. On this thread alone we have had 2 people who have been able to get the Nokia 8 to work and some thast have not even with generic out of the box firmware.

As for Apple devices, Neither Apple or BT support (officially anyway)  4G (VoLTE)  on iPhone 5S

VoLTE - Apple Supported devices         BT 4G Calling

As for Wifi calling..

It works on almost all iPhones from 5S

BT - Wifi calling

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 1018 of 1,144

Go to solution

My Nokia 8 is a SIM free UK TA-1012 running 8.1 with the April security patch with the default BT APN and it works fine.

If you are running the March security patch or older then it may not work. The April patch added something that enabled it.

0 Ratings
Dogandbone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1019 of 1,144

Go to solution

Samsung A5 2017.

I had a replacement sim , Wi-fi calling still did not work . Well this morning whilst waiting for it to stop raining I was having a play with the phone, I was on the APN settings which was set to BT , I pressed the menu ( three dots) had the option to reset to default which I did, holy cow the Wi-fi calling appeared on the phone, made a couple of calls to test . So it looks as though I now have Wi-fi calling working.Smiley LOL

Kippax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1020 of 1,144

Go to solution

I think I will take the plunge on a Nokia 8.  I see that Laptops direct are doing a good deal.

Looks as if my HTC 10 will be ending up on ebay!

Kippax

0 Ratings