Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinc21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 141 of 1,144

Re: Wifi Calling

Go to solution

This would be a great addition to the package as the signal is poor here too and I've been using wifi calling on 3 for a long time now.

How do I get on the trial ?

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 142 of 1,144

Go to solution
4G & Wi-fi calling will resolve a lot of the reception issues for people.

You can join BT consumer trials however you are not always selected to take part. You must join and set up a profile for your equipment and devices. Don’t forget it’s a trial you will be required to gives feedback, complete task and the services may have faults

You can register here

https://bt.centercode.com/
0 Ratings
martinc21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 143 of 1,144

Go to solution
Thanks
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 144 of 1,144

Go to solution
My understanding is that the WiFi calling trial is now fully subscribed.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Deryman
Contributor
Message 145 of 1,144

Go to solution

in which case they should have enough test data to release the service - this has dragged on for way too long and is clearly a commercial rather than technical move on BT's part.  Can't fault the value of family sims but their coverage is rubbish in rural areas and wifi calling is not a big ask.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 146 of 1,144

Go to solution

Trials can not be discussed due to the NDA's, however in regards to taking part in trials there is no assurance that those registered will be asked to take part anyway. I often give out information about joining the consumer trials for those who want to give feedback on their service and hopefiully help to giving a better user experience.

In regards to Deryman's comments, I think it maybe a bit of both. They will have had their MVNO service agreement with EE, which still operates as seperate company and will always want to offer more services otherwise nobody would join EE with their plans almost double the price. 

Also although EE have had wifi calling for sometime, they only recently rolled out 4G Wifi calling on selected handsets and sims. For this to be carried over to BT, changes will have to be made on accounts. Whilst We think its as simple as switching on Wifi calling, its not that simple otherwisew all networks would offer 4G wifi calling.

But I do agree that Wifi calling is urgently needed but I dont think any commercially aware company would hold back something that could hinder its growth.

Something tells me its not far away nowSmiley Happy

0 Ratings
Deryman
Contributor
Message 147 of 1,144

Go to solution

£20bn turnover company so I don’t think there is a technical issue here. It is purely BT keeping EE diferentiated from BT Mobile. Cynical.

0 Ratings
Message 148 of 1,144

Go to solution

@Deryman wrote:

£20bn turnover company so I don’t think there is a technical issue here. It is purely BT keeping EE diferentiated from BT Mobile. Cynical.

Wifi calling for BT Mobile will be on it's way.

For users in remote areas, it's difficult to obtain a mobile signal outdoors, let alone indoors.

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 149 of 1,144

Go to solution

@Deryman wrote:

Is it “cynical” that they charge so much less for a BT Mobile SIM?

0 Ratings
Deryman
Contributor
Message 150 of 1,144

Go to solution

Wifi calling in a not-spot goes over broadband and so this is not about getting a return on investment in mobile spectrum/coverage rollout. BT Mobile provides poor coverage for many in rural areas and being cheap is not the same as good value. It is cynical to deny not-spot customers a means of getting home coverage that is technical well proven and doesn't require massive infrastrucuture investment on their part. 

0 Ratings