cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexholmes
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Wifi Connections Keep Dropping- HH5

Over the past few weeks wireless devices- iPhones- in the household have constantly been disconnected from the home network. It then can take upto 5 minutes+ for this device to automatically reconnect. Today is the first time I've logged onto the home hub manager, and I noticed that attached wireless devices now have a character next to them, either a '6' or a 'D'. 

I gather this is to do with DHCP and IPV6, so I rummaged around in the advanced settings to take a closer look, and it appears that every single wireless device is integrated in the DHCP table with a specificed lease time. I don't remember ever seeing this before on the HomeHub and believe that this might be causing issues with devices connected to the wifi. Furthermore, on the iPhone wifi settings if I click the 'i' next to the connected network, I can now see the IPV6 address- again something I do not remember seeing.

In the past, each wireless device was assigned a static IP address manually and it is this system that I want to use again. Is there any way to disable DHCP, so I don't have the frustration of renewing the lease of every affected device?

All help is appreciated. Thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Wifi Connections Keep Dropping- HH5

Welcome to this user forum.

You can disable DHCP on this screen.

Shortcut http://192.168.1.254/0000013200/gui/#/myNetwork/ip-address

dns_server.jpg

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Set a static address on your device. Unless you do, you will still be using DHCP, just keeping the same address.

0 Ratings
alexholmes
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

If I disable DHCP, how would it affect all the other attached devices in the DHCP table? Would they all automatically become static IPs, which don't require the lease to be renewed?

0 Ratings
alexholmes
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

If I manually set a static address will it be removed from the DHCP table?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

@alexholmes wrote:

If I disable DHCP, how would it affect all the other attached devices in the DHCP table? Would they all automatically become static IPs, which don't require the lease to be renewed?

No, they will only retain their IP address until they are turned off or restarted, then they will fail to connect, unless they are manually configured to an IP address, netmask, default gateway, and DNS server.

If none of your devices roam onto other networks, the giving them fixed IP addresses is fine.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Unfortunately router manufacturers misuse the term 'static address'. There are only 2 ways for a device to obtain an IP address, either it is configured manually on the device itself (a static address) or it is assigned automatically by a DHCP server in a router. If the latter, it is possible to choose to assign the same consistent address to a device, which router manufacturers refer mistakenly to 'assigning a static ip address'. It is not, and still requires DHCP to assign it to the device. A router assigning a static address is an oxymoron.

alexholmes
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for the information.
I've also read on other threads that having the channel selection set to "Automatic (Smart Wireless)" may contribute to this drop in wireless signal. Should I manually set the channel instead?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Yes, use a wifi analyser app on a smartphone to determine the best channel to use.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

You are lucky, as the home hub 5 allows you to select any one of 13 channels, unlike the "smart" hub, which only allows a choice of 3 Smiley Sad

0 Ratings