cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Wifi Connectivity issues with a 2008 Apple Macbook

Hi I have had BT Total Broadband for 14 months with constant issues in relation to the Wifi connectivity on my Apple Macbook.  I got Infinity installed and am still having the same issues.  Other devices - Iphone and Ipad - work fine but the Macbook only works in one room of my house.  I have had the Macbook checked and there are now issues technically with it according to the diagnostic team at the Apple store.  I have tried changing channels and nothing like this is helping.  BT are insisting I have to pay a cancellation charge of £159 to cancel my Infinity - even though it was only installed on Friday.  

The engineer installed the modem and BT Homehub 3.0 router at my main socket into the house which is in an understairs cupboard - the modem and hub are now sitting on the floor!!!!  I have been advised that this won't be helping the signal.  As soon as I move from the living room to another room downstairs it drops and doesn't work at all upstairs.  

I don't feel that there is any point in investing in an Airport Extreme as I have no guarantee that this will improve the level of service provided by BT.  

I have also over the weekend tried different wifi networks outside of my house and it works fine on all of these including what is meant to be a less superior Sky Broadband service?

Does anyone have any ideas what else I can try - I have lodged a complaint with BT and am waiting on a repsonse at the moment.

thanks 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wifi Connectivity issues with a 2008 Apple Macbook

Hello,

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro and find the Wifi connectivity to the Home Hub 3 to be excellent. We have an iMac two floors up from the HH which connects over WiFi at over 100Mbps

If you have no problems with the iPad and iPhone it seems unlikely that the problem is with the hub but more likely to be either a fault with the MacBook or something to do with your environment (especially if it works when you are not at home and you have a new hub following the Infinity installation). Despite claims that the HH3 avoids interference you may have neighbours who are using the same channel and that is causing problems. I know you have tried changing channles but I would look on the Mac App Store for a Wifi scanning application to see what channels are in use by your neighbours and see whether you need to change the frequency that the HH3 uses.

Generally, in my experience, the lower the channel number the better (if it is free of interference).

Tony

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Long time Mac/Infinity user here.

Macs rarely have problems with their wifi, any problems that do occur are more often due to external issues, such as poor siting of the router, or co-channel interference from a neighbouring router. From your testing at the Apple Store and on other networks there is nothing obviously wrong with your machine.

Having the HH3 on the floor is just about the worst place you can site it. Generally you should position a wireless router as high up in the working area as possible; at least desk height is desirable. A very simple thing to try is borrow a longer Ethernet cable to go between the OpenReach Modem and the HH3 and then temporarily position the HH3 higher, say halfway up the stairs. There should be an immediate and noticeable improvement in the signal.

If matters do not improve, make sure that all the Apple Software Updates have been done (connect the MacBook with an Ethernet cable to do this if necessary).  Next, completely delete the wireless setup on the Macbook for the HH3 (and any other old setups you may have) and complete the setup of the HH3 from scratch.

You may still find there is a lack of signal and this could be due to co-channel interference with another wifi router in your neighbourhood. Try manually switching the router onto Channel 13 as relatively few ISP's devices use this channel by default. Alternatively try Channel 1.

You can download a free WiFi "sniffer" called Kismac to check what channels are being used by other routers in your area.

To manage the hub, launch your browser of choice and enter 192.168.1.254 (DO NOT put http:// in front of this!) and press Enter. (The Hub Manager software is a PIA and should not be installed; use the CD as a coaster for your coffee cup!).

The Airport Extreme is a very good replacement for the HH3 and is far superior in terms of the WiFi signal. If you want to try one, order it on-line from the Apple Store . . . you can return it if it does not work as expected!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried nearly every channel on the hub with no success.  The technical guy changed it last night to channel 11 but as soon as I moved into a different room, again it stopped working.

Perhaps if BT installed the telephone point somewhere other than in an understairs cupboard we might have more success but I'm sceptical

Any other ideas people? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

When I tried channel 13 from memory it dropped off completely - but will try this again tonight when the technical guy rings back yet again!  

I have all software updates installed on the Macbook, although I haven't updated the OS to Lion as yet or Leopard as I have heard varying reports about both.  I have also completely deleted all wireless settings and re-set it up as a new network.  I also have changed the Homehub 3 from my existing Homehub 3.0 to the new one I was sent when I ordered the Infinity - neither homehub offers any improvement.

I didn't think the Airport Extreme would have been returnable after opening it up etc - I may try this if nothing else is successful.

I will have a go at raising the Homehub tonight and see if that improves anything for us and also will suggest to BT that the phone point should be moved FOC as surely they can accept that this is not the best siting for the moden/router.

Many thanks for your replies guys, plenty of helpful suggestions for me to try.  I really am at my wits end with it - really would like to just cancel the whole thing and move to a different provider - never had issues with any other Broadband provider and my macbook! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Sorry another question, I have just checked the wireless interface on the Apple Macbook and it says that it is only a/b/g compatible - does this mean that by changing settings in the Homehub I could rectify the range/connectivity issue?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Just out of interest it might be worth trying the "b/g only" setting. It won't do any harm, but no guaratees that it will solve anything though . . .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Will try b/g only setting - I suspect this might cause issues with other devices though ie iphone and ipad but I'm not enough of an expert to know so I will try it out.  Fingers crossed, something that is relatively simple like this will sort out all the issues. 

Read somewhere else to try WPA only instead of WPA2? 

Thank you so much for all your help 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 10

hmmm - interesting (and frustrating for you I'm sure)

i'm a long time mac user and i must admit to having very few issues - zero with the macs , just a couple with HH3 (which I recently ditched in preference to a time capsule so i could back up and route in one device) but the HH3 was pretty reliable.

I did have a period when I had signal contention ( not channel congestion) and here's what i did (this is from memory so bear with me if I get this a wee bit wrong)

Go to HH3 settings

Advanced settings

home network

refresh >>you'll now see only those active machines connect by wires or wireless

Shut down anything that you don't have a probelm with (theres also an option to 'cancel device' or something

like that but it will then attempt to reconnect)

So after you've done that you should ONLY have the 'problem device' active.

See what it is connecting at - should be using all of wifi signal (100-103 would be top banana).

And it should be 'N' (there are two N settings in the HH3 try them both).

If not - retart this device and refresh hub keeping everything else switched off. After that, sorry, I've exhausted my help.

I wouldn't monkey around with WPA/WPA2 settings  - just because i don't think its necessary no real reason

good luck  - i hope you get it fixed...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Ok, so after another 1.5 hours on the phone to the technical team, I am no further forward.  They have changed every setting under the sun, and still I can't move more that 5ft from the hub.  They have now told me I need an ELECTRICIAN to check out my house for interference.  Never had interference with any other broadband provider apart from BT - I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.  Here I am stuck with an inferior service for 18 months.  Complete and utter joke - word of advice to anyone thinking about changing to Infinity - DON'T - go to a different provider as I am quite sure you will experience a much better service and level of customer care than that provided by BT

0 Ratings