Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Wifi Extender vs Ethernet Cable

Go to solution

Hi im new here and appologise if this question has been asked before but im a bit miffed...

I got bt youview activated last week then called up and ordered an extra box
which was delivered and activated today, i originally wanted three youview+
boxes in total but BT says they can only provide me with a maximum of two,
even if i pay upfront, i would need to buy the additional box for my
kids room from a retailler which i did and plugged in on saturday there.

I also purchased two Wifi Extenders (not the BT ones) and they seemed to be
working fine on my upstairs boxes, great signal and pulling netflix and all the
other on demand content through fine, however on my second bt subscription box sold by BT that was activated today, the extra channels on my package were not pulling through. Ended up calling BT for advice on how to fix the issue with the box not pulling through
the extra channels and the advisor talked me through various tests etc then said
to restart my home hub and box then she would call me back but after restarting the box
and home hub it still didnt pull through the channels so i had a 25m cat6a ethernet cable lying around which i decided to try so i plugged in and it pulled the channels through fine to my second BT subscription box.

I bought the extenders to save me from having to run a cable upstairs, which i have now had to do. I thought it would just be a matter of running a short cable from each extender to each of the youview+ boxes but my question is, if the extra channels are streamed down the internet, why do they not pull through using wifi extenders but netflix and all the other on demand content does, which again is streamed?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Wifi Extender vs Ethernet Cable

Go to solution
The on-demand and catch-up content is streamed using unicasting which the BTHomeHub will route via either the ethernet ports or wireless.

The extra linear channels are streamed using multicasting which the BTHomeHub will only route via the ethernet ports.

It may be possible to use an alternative modem+router that will send multicast content over wireless, I don't know I haven't tried it. The forum sticky thread about multicast routers might be of use.

Another more complicated possibility involves connecting another device to a BTHomeHub ethernet port to convert that to a wireless signal. Again I haven't tried it myself.

Try a search of the forum for wireless multicast as it has been raised several times before.
0 Ratings
mcgroa
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution
I wouldn't be surprised if two wouldn't work. Wifi extenders in my experience are not great when you use more than one. They have to up and downlink using the same wifi channel range and I found a second just struggled.

I'd really recommend the. Devolo home plugs esp the 500 ones that can also be wifi hotspots plus have an Ethernet socket. I have one running in living room supporting Apple TV, smart TV, BT TV and is a wifi access. And a second at other end of house providing media streaming no prob. Both are >20m from the modem and uplink.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution
Another possibility is to use powerline adapters to send the output from a BTHomeHub ethernet port via the mains wiring to the BT TV box. Lots of people use this successfully with the multicast channels but it depends on your home wiring set up so BT don't officially support it for multicast.

BT sell such adapters and there are several other brands as well.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution
Homeplugs and powerline adapters are normally different names for the same thing in case you are wondering.
Ethernet connections via the home electrical mains wiring.
0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks for your quick reply, I was just stumped because I thought the extra channels and on demand just streamed the same way. Have ran the ethernet cable to one room now anyway so I will just split it using a switch then I can run it through to a switch in the other bedroom, hopefully future proofing both rooms for extra wired access.
0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
Yeah I had looked at these but think we've got a ring maine so wasn't sure if it would have worked
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution
An ethernet cable is by far the cheapest and most reliable solution if you can set it up. Also BT fully support it for multicast channels.

I guess they disable wireless multicast on the HomeHubs as there are just too many things that can affect it. The multicast streams are quite high bitrate (particularly HD channels) and due to their live TV nature customers won't put up with any drop outs or even the slightest picture interference. BT have to implement a solution that will work flawlessly for millions of customers, hence they tell you to use a cable.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
Be a bit careful with cheap ethernet switches as I think some people have reported multicast problems in some situations. Any device that states it supports multicast (using IGMP) should in theory be ok, but you can't be sure until you try it. 🙂

Again it has been raised before on the forum.
0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution
Yeah have always preferred using ethernet cables from cat 5e upwards but now they have cat 7, it's always changing but safe to say even when gfast comes into play cat 6a wil still serve me well.

I had originally planned to run the cable through the wall, up the outside of the house behind the pipe then into the front bedroom upstairs but the brickwork this house is built with seriously is the hardest thing ever known to man, the walls are solid and about a foot thick so drilling it was a complete nightmare. That's where the extenders had come in. All internal walls to where the hub is, is also made from brick so couldn't even drop the cable down a cavity. I Have had to run the cable neatly all the way on the skirting and it looks good but the main thing is, the wife hasn't complained, so all is well 🙂
0 Ratings