Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Wifi Extender vs Ethernet Cable

Go to solution
Umpire can you suggest a switch that would work ok? Was looking at the BT 5 port gigabit switch but not sure if this one would work, could always try it I suppose and if it doesn't work, take it back
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

One final thought.

A normal 100Mbps ethernet connection (not a Gigabit connection) only uses one twisted pair of wires. Cat5, 5e cabling normally contains two twisted pairs in case you want to use Gigabit. You can buy some cheap unpowered adapters that plug into an ethernet wall socket at each end and allow two separate 100Mbps connections over a single cable. A simple clever idea.

Using ome twisted pair solely for the BT TV box and the other twisted pair for all other data is I suppose yet another possibility?

I haven't tried that either! 🙂

0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
That's defo one I could try, the thinner the cable the better. Was also looking at ethernet over coax but the adaptors seem quite pricey and no guarantee it would work
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Try a web search for 'ethernet economiser'. That seems to be an official name for them.

You have to use them in pairs, one at each end, and they are designed to be plugged into ethernet wall sockets as normally found in offices.

0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks umpire I will have a look for them online
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Note that if rigging up ethernet cable between wall sockets you would normally use a cable with solid core copper wires. That is because the push-down connectors in the sockets are designed to work with solid core.

An ethernet patch cable with plugs already fixed on each end will often contain stranded core wires to allow greater flexibility. This type of core is not really suitable for punch-down connectors.  

Just something else to be aware of.

0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
By solid core cable do you mean something like RG6, WF65, WF100 etc
0 Ratings
toddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution
Is a good idea and defo something to try. Will have a look at the sockets and economisers and see what I can come up with. Failing that and switches I could order another 25m ethernet cable for the other room and do a double run.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution
No I mean cat5,5e,6,7 cable that contains wires with solid copper cores, rather than stranded copper cores that are more flexible.

If you were connecting to an ethernet switch using a long cable with plugs already attached then you don't need to concern yourself about it. On the other hand if you are running a new infrastructure cable from the back of one wall socket to another you need to use the solid core type. This type is less flexible but normally doesn't move as it's in walls or on skirting boards etc. It works better over long distances and the wall socket internal connectors are designed to take this type.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution
Regarding the BT 5 port switch, I can't say whether it works ok with multicast or not. You would hope so being BT branded. I agree that the best thing to do if you want to try a switch is to buy one from a site with a no questions returns policy such as directly from Amazon. Then you can just try it out and see.
0 Ratings